Thread: Nintendo is too conscious of competition, says Miyamoto

Blog Entries

General games Nintendo is too conscious of competition, says Miyamoto

Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has warned that Nintendo pays too much attention to the actions of its rivals, suggesting that the company should focus more on its unique strengths.

Speaking in an interview with CNN, Miyamoto said, "I do think we are too conscious of competition. There are many companies today that can be compared to Nintendo, but I think that Nintendo should be unique and become a company that can not be compared with the other corporations.

"Our former president himself has said, 'Do not try to compete with the others, try to be the only one, set yourself apart from others.' We are able to spend as much budget as needed for the challenge of creating something that makes us "the only one."

"That is why Nintendo puts as much money as possible into such projects and big challenges. Our company thinks that there is never a big enough budget for such challenges."

Miyamoto referred to the DS and the Wii as examples of the way Nintendo innovates and opens up new markets. Both machines have been a huge success for the company, which expects to have sold 23 million DS units and 6 million Wii consoles by the end of the financial year.

"A new market will open up when you introduce something that people have not expected. I feel strongly that we can have a chance in taking the lead in that market. Nintendo, historically, is a company that takes risks," Miyamoto said.

"I don't think there is a company equivalent that has the know-how or skills with the technology behind the games, or has the history and experience in the entertainment industry, and or has such abundant and motivated staff.

"I believe that with our people, we are able to make games that can be accepted by the public for a long time. And as long as we maintain that edge, we will always have an advantage over other companies."

via gibiz

nintendo must keep on making. innovational titles too survive not making special editions of other games on other consoles.

Thread Information