Thread: GDC: PS3 is "best machine"

Blog Entries

ps3 GDC: PS3 is "best machine"

Former Shiny Entertainment boss Dave Perry has praised Sony's PS3 hardware, describing it as "the best piece of hardware, without question" - but claims that it will be years before developers tap that power.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz at GDC, Perry said that he hasn't seen "a single game that shows me the power of PlayStation 3."

"I haven't seen anything even close to what the machine's capable of doing," he claimed. "So that's the sad part for Sony - I feel really bad for them that somebody hasn't really stepped up to show us the hardware all singing, all dancing."

via eurogamer

"....it will be years before developers tap that power...."
    Hence the whole idea of the console being future proof. It will rock.

bull, x.

by then Sony would have lost its footing in the next gen console biz to either Microsoft or Nintendo. yah the power is there, it's untapped, but it's more a little to late at that point. not unless Sony mounts a major comeback to topple the current top two contenders.

This is very reminiscent of the Sega story.

Build a machine so hard to code fro no one wants to.

First phase was the ps2, last phase will be the ps3.

To bad, because it is a nice machine, but so was the saturn and dreamcast.

I wouldn't say the 360 is much threat right now, the 360 is only a beefed up XBOX in my opinion
    With some differences

But when companies get scared there games won't sell(cause of the PS3's not doing well currently, and the price being a factor for so) they also release games for the 360, which were meant to only be exclusives

The Wii is getting tons of support cause many developers want to try out the software and such

The PS3 does have more power than both the 360 and the Wii though
    I think in time it'll rise, and sooner or later a game will come out that will amaze everyone
    But right now, I think they're somewhat lacking of support.

DCEmu Newbie

i say wait and see my friends.......it's just the beginning. This gen is going to be much closer than last gen in the long run just because all 3 consoles have something special to it that everyone wants.

also......it's true that the ps3 is hard to code for, but unlike the DC, Sony is actually trying really hard to help the developers get newer dev kits with new tools to get their games out there.

finally, if you look at the potential of all the consoles, the PS3 SHOULD end up on top. It has everything the 360 has (except LIVE, but Sony's supposedly working on it), and honestly, I don't see the Wii as the primary console for anyone....good secondary console though.....

Even if the PS3 should be on top.......it really depends on what Sony does from here on out. All these extras that they seem to be working on (PS HOME, rumble controller?, software BC, DVD upscaling, etc) are really great ideas for the PS3 BUT I think they should start worrying about getting some great exclusive games out there that makes it worth buying a PS3.

Remember, people buy consoles for games, not the extras.

Thread Information