Thread: PS3 contributes to global warming?

Blog Entries

ps3 PS3 contributes to global warming?

via ps3fanboy

Savvy PR folks know that if they issue a press release filled with all kinds of high-profile buzzwords such as "energy conservation" or "PS3" that they can also get all kinds of free exposure by riding on the coat-tails of popular people, places or things. Such is the case with little known company, sust-it, who has issued a PR on the eve of the PS3's European launch to warn gamers everywhere of the literal and figurative cost of powering your gaming habit.

"Have you pre-ordered your PlayStation 3 yet? If you have sust-it recommends you top-up the pre-payments on your electricity account at the same time. The US version of the PS3 comes with a whopping 380 Watt power supply. That's over twice as much as its main competitor the Xbox 360 with its 165W unit, and over seven times more power hungry than the PlayStation 2. If you were to combine a PS3 with a LG 71" HD Ready Plasma TV to take full advantage of the amazing graphics you could be burning 1.4kWh (kilowatts) of power per hour and if you're a serious gamer that could cost you £1.19 for a five hour session."

What do you think? Is the PS3 too power-hungry? Is your electric bill going though the roof? Do you at least use your console as a space heater to keep warm in the Winter?

DCEmu Coder

This is one of the reasons why Sony did a new HW rev for the european release. There are other reasons but... only for the topic
    &&
    Don't dream, play DreamCast!!!

Please Al Gore destroy all PS3s for the sake of humanity. Oh and so we don't have to ever hear what morons Phil Harrison or Jack Tretton have to say.

DCEmu Regular

of course the ps3 contributes to global warming so does every other sony product in existence so if ya get screwed by sony life is ****ed.

DCEmu Legend

Wow this is just ridiculous. A scare tactic at best. Global warming is indeed an issue, but why blame the PS3 solely? Perhaps out of all the consoles it is the most powerhungry, but considering the PS3 is a computer and not a traditional console, its a farcry short of a beefed up computer's power demands.

And fortunately it is also a moot point. The European Union has 147 Nuclear Powerplants in operation, which generate no greenhouse gases aside from water vapor, which has been shown not to be a real concern. So this scare tactic is rather absurd. If EU was powered solely by Coal Powerplants, then I'd see a correlation, but it is not, therefore there is none.

I wonder if this will actually lead people not to buy a ps3

Those bull$#@! are like QJ's. DCEmu, do not write QJish things.
    This is an idiotic subject, and NO, it won't hurt PS3 sales at all.
    Oh, and not everyone has a 71'' Plasma HD... Whoever has a TV like this, should have the money to pay for the bills...
    And as Mekanaizer said, those things consider the US version of the PS3.
    Please understand that the US facts do not represent WORLDWIDE ones.

DCEmu Newbie

meh..........380 W power supply eh? My PC has a 600 W power supply and is running all day (since its usually downloading and what not when i'm away), so its not that big....

it is big for a console, but now a days, gaming consoles are starting to turn into computers....... unless its made by nintendo that is.

so say i play my ps3 for 10hours how much would that cost me ...

and i think its the goverments fought for globol warming, they could make a new act where every new house build by like mass houses sellers should have one of them solour roofs and also the goverment are only letting some people have these roofs! if you have these roofs then you get free power and also do your bit in a big way!

DCEmu Legend

Thats why the government doesn't give away solar panels, because it provides free energy. How would the government make money if they allow people to have access to free energy?

One can make their home totally interdependent from the government infrastructure, but such costs alot of money and requires almost total reconstruction of the home.

Thread Information