Thread: PS3 Three Times Faster Than Xbox 360?

Blog Entries

Default PS3 Three Times Faster Than Xbox 360?

Some interesting next-gen gossip has been sent my way by a reliable source. As we approach E3, the specs for both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are becoming more known among the developers, spurring some major chest thumping and “My CPU is bigger than your CPU” talk.

The consensus among these learned types is that the two systems have comparable GPUs despite using different companies (ATI and NVidia), but that the CPUs are a completely different story.

Word from the geek is that the PS3’s CPU is about three times faster than the Xbox 360’s CPU. While this seems like a clear cut victory for Sony, it does little to end the constant debate about which system will be able to provide better games. The problem with Sony’s super-fast CPU is that not all of its power may actually be usable in games. Bottom line: There could be a lot of extraneous horsepower under the PS3’s hood that’s mainly for show, not actual gaming.

Sony has mislead consumers or just plain lied about the specs of it's last 3 bits of hardware, why stop the hype machine now?

Dream Coder

yea seriously. the PS2 was supposed to push something like 25x the amount of polys that it was later found to be able to THEORETICALLY produce. I like it how when its a big corporation it isnt lying its hype =P.

Wrag, I highly doubt that.
    Its rumored that the Xbox will use 3 3 GHz chips for its CPU. While the Cell CPU is quite powerful, no way can it be 3 times faster then 3 combined CPU's running at 3 GHz each (9 GHz people!). Maybe you misread it and meant to say Sony’s cell CPU is the equivalent of the XBOX's 3 CPU's? If the Sony CPU is faster, I would say maybe 1.3-1.4 times faster. It would just make no sense for Microsoft to release an inferior product. Then everyone would buy the PS3.
    Btw this is also from a reliable source…

Of course I have been wrong before…

Alex thats ****ing rediculous of you really believe xbox360 is using 9ghz. The graphics it produces could be pulled off on a 4.2ghz with a ATI 9800 SE. Sony probably has around the same thing with a different type of super hard to program for cpu.

A. I know someone that works for a known videogame company and they have seen the dev kit and confirmed the specs.

B. go here
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/608/608394p3.html
    Look at the specs.

C. Reefer to A.

-- Edit I just received another conformation that the Xbox 360 will indeed run at 9 GHz!

Thread Information