Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Handheld Innovation

Blog Entries

General games The Future of Handheld Innovation

Shipping in a few days from GP2X Stores Worldwide comes what must be considered the Future of Handheld Innovation.

Gamepark have finally released to the Public the Gp2x Commercial Interface Board Cradle it was previously known as the Breakout Board and was for developers only.

The Cradle is a revolution to the handheld gaming community. This device is only for the GP2X but it shows the world what can be done. First heres some pictures:

GP2X Sitting in the Cradle

USB Joypad Connected to the Cradle

USB Mouse and Keyboard Connected to the Cradle

SideView of the Cradle

The amazing thing about the Cradle is that USB Devices like a Mouse, Keyboard and Joysticks can be connected to it and possibly even Hard Drives giving you a system like no other. The Cradle also has a TV Out/Monitor Out so connecting up to Televisions and Monitors to play Emulators and Games and many applications is a breeze.

Heres the full tech Specs:

The commercial interface board plugs into the EXT port of the GP2X and turns it into a full computer with 4xUSB ports, RS232, Audio and Video out & Jtag.

Description
    -EXT port : Connects to GP2X EXT Port.

-RS232 Port : RS232 port for developers. Monitors operating status of GP2X.

-DC 5V/3A Adaptor Jack : Connects to Adaptor of regulated voltage of DC5V

-L-Sound Jack( RCA Jack ) : Left Audio-out port to TV or Monitor

-R-Sound Jack( RCA Jack ) : Right Audio-out port to TV or Monitor

-S-Video Connector : Video-out connector to TV or Monitor

-JTAG Port : JTAG port for developer. Recovers booting file.

-USB Host x 4 port : Connects to USB compatible devices like game controller, HDD, keyboard etc

-USB HOST operation lamp : If USB host port operates normally, relevant lamp will be lighted.

DIGG THIS

An awesome product not just for emulation and homebrew fans but for any gaming fans. Could this be done on the PSP or indeed the Nintendo DS ?

This would be absolutely incredible for the DS and PSP.

i agree, this is the way forward for handheld(ish) gaming i think

DCEmu Newbie

Default ????

please dont flame me for this but what is the gp2x

and yeah that would be great for psp but then id be carryin round a big keyboard so i could chat msn style to my buddies lol

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_c_dog View Post
    please dont flame me for this but what is the gp2x
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x

Should explain things fairly well

Or:http://gpnewbie.com/

Just in case you still have a few more questions.

Nobody should flame you, its not as commonly known as other handhelds such as the DS or the PSP, but its still a great handheld

DCEmu Newbie

Would be great for PSP, would love to play it on my telly with a better controller (PSP one is horrible) also would be good for the DS but only for emulation and GBA purposes.

I think a handheld with this would be the future of gaming if they can make them as powerful as a home console but at about the same price.

Great that they finally released this. I have to say, if I didn't have a PSP, I'd own a GP2X.

However, could this be done with the PSP or DS? No. The GP2X was designed with this in mind from the get-go. It's basically a portable low-end PC running Linux, that happens to be in a game cohnsole form factor. It has USB host functionality. It has an MMU. It was designed for versatility.

The PSP and the DS in their current iteration can't do these things. They weren't made that way.

Oh, and the idea of a games console that's also a computer with standard computer peripherals is hardly new. Anyone heard of the Famicom? "Family Computer"? Historically there has been no demand for PC like performance from a console. That's why there haven't been any so far, and that's why there won't be any for some time, GP2X aside (and lets be honest, while a wonderful little device, the GP2X is still very much a niche product).

Is it the future of portable gaming? No. Is it a cool toy? Hell, yeah.

this is cool....do you think that they will make a thing like this for for the xgp (the expensive one)?

WOOO!

And forget about the PSP and the DS; this is for the gp2x, if you want it, get a gp2x. It's really just what SpooForBrains said, it's what the gp2x was really made for.

In response to gamerremag, the XGP was being created by Gamepark, not Gamepark Holdings, and Gamepark filed for bankruptcy, so the XGP will never come out now.

DCEmu Newbie

This looks awesome, I hope it gets implemented somehow to the PSP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information