Thread: Nintendo keeps pensioners young at heart

General games Nintendo keeps pensioners young at heart

via Manchester Evening News

SHE is 89, he is 73 - ages when a gentle game of bingo might seem appropriate.

But Evelyn Robinsonand Harry Callaghan and their pensioner pals are keeping young in heart and mind - competing against each other on Nintendo DS Lite consoles.

Their residential home has just taken delivery of two hand-held consoles. They are now eager fans of games such as Pac-man.

Each of the two consoles - worth about £100 - has been loaded up with the iconic computer game as well as Dr Kawashima's Brain Training game. And all the residents at Sherwood House in Wigan are now taking turns to register top scores on the popular 1980s game as well as boosting their memory and brain power by playing Dr Kawashima's game.

Sherwood House manager Gill Menguy said: "It has gone down really well with residents.

"They really enjoy playing on the Pac-man game and the brain training game is keeping their mind active with questions on maths and other subjects.

Initiative

"We are hoping to get some more games such as murder mysteries, fighting games and football games so there is something for everyone."

The initiative has been introduced by CLS Care Services who run the home.

Harry, who has lived at the home for three years said: "It's brilliant. I could sit here all day and play it. It's quite addictive.

"With Dr Kawashima you are asked all sorts of questions and it helps to keep your brain sharp. The less you use your brain the more it goes." Harry is already is a big fan of PC computer games as he has limited mobility and is particularly keen on interactive detective, adventure and war games.

But after spending a few hours on one of the new Nintendos he is completely converted to the hand held consoles.

Harry, a grandfather-of-six and great grandfather-of-three, who used to live in Kitt Green, Wigan, said: "I wish I had one to myself!"

Mrs Menguy said: "It's something a bit different and makes a change from bingo."

David Yarnton, of Nintendo, said: "No matter what age you are, the simple daily exercises on this console can help to stimulate and reinvigorate your brain."

DCEmu Rookie

16 yrs. apart? at least they're still gaming and enjoying the newer games. I'm just glad that they enjoy playing brain age or whichever training game they're playing.

O, and i misread the topic at first, i thought it said "Nintendo keeps prisoners at young heart". I'm an ass.

DCEmu Newbie

Awesome score for Nintendo... Every company dreams of creating it's own market, and it looks like they've hit pay dirt.

Thread Information