Thread: Hand-Dyed Wii Straps

Blog Entries

Rev Hand-Dyed Wii Straps

via kotaku

The colors chosen for the project are a little underwhelming, but it does put a big lightbulb in your head. Not just because the dye used to color these Wii straps are just the regular old Rit dyes you can get at any fabric store and some grocery stores, but because the dye actually dyes the plastic too! I would have definitely struggled with that before even trying to dump the whole thing into the pot. Kind of makes me want to wrap my DS in rubber bands and see if I can't turn it into that Grateful Dead hippie swirl.

DCEmu Newbie

WARNING!
    Be careful when Dying you Wii parts.
    Back in 1997 I tried to dye my Playstation 1. I ended up warping the controller, top case and lid. The base was a thicker plastic and it dyed in light blue/grey. I was trying for rich blue color.

I recommend to keep the water at a low temp on the stove. You do need to heat up the dye and not to use the cold water method. Any parts that are nylon will work great. More solid plastics will not accept the dye as much.

I still get laughed at to this day by my friends. I ended up making a PSX case out of Plexiglass. Looked cool until I bought a new case.

My-2-Cents Worth...

Thread Information