Thread: Some Truth to Wii as GameCube 1.5?

Blog Entries

GC Some Truth to Wii as GameCube 1.5?

via slashdot

Newsweek's N'Gai tackles the allegation that the Wii is a glorified GameCube. He specifically looked at recent comments by Microsoft's Robbie Bach saying that 'the video graphics on it aren't very strong; the box itself is kind of underpowered; it doesn't play DVDs; there are a lot of down-line components [that] aren't actually that interesting. ... They don't have the graphics horsepower that even Xbox 1 had. So it makes sort of the comparison set a little bit difficult.' LevelUp spoke with a pair of technical experts at third party publishers and learned that, essentially, Bach's comments about horsepower are accurate. However,
    "the 'Gamecube 1.5' moniker, while accurate, doesn't mean that gamers won't see graphical improvements on the Wii. 'There are three main differences which will result in graphics improvements. One, the increased memory clock speed, from 162 megahertz to 243 megahertz, means that it is easier to do enough pixels for 480p mode versus 480i. Two, the enhanced memory size of the Wii gives much more room for image-related operations such as anti-aliasing, motion blur, etc. The performance to these memory systems from the graphics chip is also improved. So full-screen effects and increased texture usage seem likely as a result.'"

DCEmu Regular

Even more people paid by Sony to tell bad things on Wii.

Ridicolous.

Quote Originally Posted by sappo View Post
    Even more people paid by Sony to tell bad things on Wii.

Ridicolous.
    Er, if you'd have read it properly, you'd know that the guy was involved with Microsoft... o_o

To top it off, I don't see why whenever someone brings up the Wii's specs, it's always Sony's fault. It's kind of the truth that it isn't exactly the technically superior of the next-gen consoles. But Wii owners bought their console for the innovation and titles rather than some numbers, so it really shouldn't matter when someone brings up the specs.

who cares? It's not a powerful system but it's the successful system on this generation

Blog Entries

for right now a lot of wii game graphics arent great. thats just lazy and/or crappy devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    Spoken like a true gamer. As for me, I've always put gameplay before graphics. So...stfu, M$ and $ony.
    hahaha, you can say that again:thumbup:

Yet, it is still one of the best systems in town...btw, is this saying that my PSP is more powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by mnuhaily22 View Post
    Yet, it is still one of the best systems in town...btw, is this saying that my PSP is more powerful?
    Good god no. While the Wii isnt exactly as powerful as the PS3 or the 360, it is far from weak. It has a CPU that is quite a bit more powerful than the GC's ~500 MHz PPC (that is already quite a bit more powerful than the PSP) and an improved GPU that is easily capable of displaying some pretty decent graphics. It's leaps and bounds more powerful than the last xbox and eats the PSP and PS2's hardware for breakfast.

People that call it weak dont seem to understand what you can actually do with creative developers and that sort of hardware. It is most certainly capable of sporting some "Next Gen" games.

Thread Information