Thread: Snes9xGx 2.0.1b4 released! Binary (DOL) version is back!

Blog Entries

GC Snes9xGx 2.0.1b4 released! Binary (DOL) version is back!

Crunchy2 has released a new version of the Snes Emulator for the Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii:

WARNING: this is a public beta release of Snes9xGx. It is tested, but only to a certain extent. I believe it to be working well, but you use this version at your own risk. I would suggest, in particular, that you not use your main memory card with any beta version. In fact, I'd suggest removing it from your GC/Wii before running this, just to be safe, and have a backup. If that worries you, wait for the final release.

Here for all to try is version 2.0.1b4 of Snes9xGx. Here's a list of the key changes:

- README is back! The updates to it aren't complete, but there's some useful info in it. Still do provide feedback on it. Tell me what else I should include and/or what needs improvement

- Because the README is back, so is the binary (DOL) version. Yeah!

- Rom injector is working again. Windows and (now) Mac OS X binaries provided. See the README for info on how to use it. I've tested it with small and large roms, including the largest rom I could find, "Star Ocean", about 5.08 MB. Works great. If you inject a rom it will be run immediately at launch (well, after you press A at the initial info screen)

- improved error messages for failed saves to SMB and SD (but, as you'll see if you run into them, they aren't perfect yet - tend to get cut off. Still, it's an improvement.)

- probably other minor changes I'm forgetting

- Still comes in 6 flavors, each one is for a specific preferences and auto save/load SRAM location. For instance there is one for a memory card in slot B, another for an SD card in slot A, another for SMB and even one that does not load a preferences file at all. Choose the one you want or collect them all! You can still, of course, manually save and load SRAM wherever you want.

- in the source code you'll find that the entire source for snes9x 1.50 has been removed. Why? Because as it turns out, Snes9xGx 2.0.x does not yet use it. WIP6 had tons of improvements, but incorporating 1.50 had not been done yet as far as I can tell. It's still 1.43 based. At this point any such effort should go into updating to snes9x 1.51. So, to make the download smaller, and since I'm not sure I'm going to take up that effort, I've removed the 1.50 source for now. Let me know if this is a problem.

Please post your experiences, and thanks for listening.

HOW TO USE THE DOL FILE
    ---------------------------------
    If you are using an SD Card adaptor (SD Gecko or equivalent), set up your SD card (and Action Replay if you are using that to load SDLOAD) as instructed, then copy the "snes9xGx201b3-sdslota.dol", or your choice of dol file, to your SD card. Also create an "SNESROMS" folder and a "SNESSAVE" folder at the top level of the SD card. Put your SNES roms in to the "SNESROMS" folder. SRAMs and the preferences file will be stored in "SNESSAVE". Insert the SD card into your SD card adapter, and plug that into slot A. Boot SDLOAD via Action Replay or however you do that, and run "snes9xGx201b3-sdslota.dol" (but you might want to rename it to a shorter name as SDLOAD doesn't display long file names properly) via SDLOAD.

If you are making a bootable DVD, I recommend, though it isn't required, creating an SNESROMS directory at the top level of the DVD and put your SNES roms in there - see note number 10 above. For example, if you are using "BootableDisc3" to create your bootable DVD, then, in addition to renaming "snes9xGx201b3-mcslotb.dol" (or whichever dol you wish to use) to "bootldr.dol" and putting that into "my_bootable_disc", also create a folder called "SNESROMS" within "my_bootable_disc" and copy all of your SNES roms into there. Also put in a filler file in the top level of the "my_bootable_disc" folder if necessary to make the DVD at least 500 MB in size. Then run BootableDisc.bat and burn the resulting iso file to DVD. See the documentation that came with "BootableDisc3" for details on using that tool - there's more to it than this!

Enjoy! (I hope!)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Nice emulator. Spent the last hour or so playing Illusion of Gaia. Took a while to get it working, had to use the noload version and inject the rom into the dol, but eventually it worked with SD Media Launcher

Thread Information