Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bungie hits back at Miyamoto

Blog Entries

General games Bungie hits back at Miyamoto

A seemingly narked Bungie has responded to comments made by Nintendo legend, Shigeru Miyamoto who claimed he could make Halo.

Last week Miyamoto was quoted saying: "I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to."

Taking that as a personal challenge, Bungie's Frank O'Connor told Joystiq: "I just want to go on the record and say that Bungie is hard at work on a side-scrolling platform game featuring some plumbers - I'm not going to say what their ethnicity is, it's none of anyone's business."

He went on to say: "We took [his comments] as a gauntlet, a sort of glove slap, and we're going to respond in 2D scrolling style. That's all I'm saying."

via cvg

lol! what a awsome dude!

DCEmu Newbie

The current Bungie probably couldn't have done Halo if it weren't for the original team, who started it.

DCEmu Newbie

haha, yeah right miyamoto has done a lot for videogames, and they just categorize him as a 2d scrolling dude, dunno who is more dumb of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumKain View Post
    The current Bungie probably couldn't have done Halo if it weren't for the original team, who started it.
    Um dude Bungie is the original team they made Marathon and continued it onto Halo.

DCEmu Rookie

I hate this chit. I dont believe that Miyamoto could say anything at Bungie (which he didn't mention, he only mentioned a game they created), but Bungie (or really Frank O'Connor) cant say anything about Miyamoto, especially the fact that they tried to make fun of him with his creation of the game that changed (and revived) video games forever. I should slap Bungie with a powerglove, not for their comment about Miyamoto, but for making Halo 2 gay (by which i mean making it suck) a lot more when the original was so much better, the only downfall was no XBL, but at least there was XBC. Anyways, i like when this stuff happens, but not when people that audiences actually like are fighting (in words) like this.

O, and i strongly believe Miyamoto is more respected than anyone else in the video game industry, but he shouldn't have mentioned the thing about making halo, but that wasn't really his fault though, cause the interviewer was the one who brung up the fact that Halo sold more copies than Metroid in the US.

Just for some people who havent read it, heres the link to the original story when they first mentioned Halo: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2003...c-peopleRecirc

DCEmu Pro

How pathetic, they couldn't get in touch with Miyamoto and sort it out? It's so blatantly obvious that his statement was taken completely out of context. Yet here they are blurting out insults to Joystiq no less.They're going to feel like morons when they finally realize this, and rightly so.

heres the quote from interview
    American gamers have bought more copies of Halo than they did of Metroid, for instance. Do you ever worry that you're losing touch with what young American players might want to play?
    I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to.
    He's not saying "I could have" and "chose not to", I'm almost positive he's saying, "I could make another Halo or Half-Life 2, but I chose to try something original. "
    I'm also certain he doesn't mean Halo is a bad game, he's not stupid for gods sake. In the 90's he would have used whatever game that was ultra popular as an example such as Doom.

I don't think Miyamoto's statement was all that infuriating he was simply saying that he was capable of making games of Halo’s type it wasn’t a slam on Bungie.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedmouth View Post
    How pathetic, they couldn't get in touch with Miyamoto and sort it out?
    You forget--it takes two to make up. Its no one horse, or Bungie, job.

However, its like saying that all the skill Bungie had at creating video games, he could have matched that skill equally if not better. That my friend, is an insult.

DCEmu Pro

If you read my post, I was saying he was misquoted by Entertainment Weekly.com. If I'm wrong so be it, if I'm right then there was no insult to begin with.
    I guess I have to try and say it different. It's my contention that he was just saying he could make another game like Halo, or another Halo Clone.He wasn't saying Bungie has no skill and he could make any game better than them. Over the years there has been no sign of Miyamoto being an egotistical prick, actual all evidence points to him being a fun loving humble guy who just enjoys entertaining people.
    All he is saying(in my opinion) is that he wants to create original games instead of "safe" games. Obviously Halo is a great game but let's face it, it's been done before.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information