Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: QuakeDS WIFI build - now with on-screen keyboard!

NDS QuakeDS WIFI build - now with on-screen keyboard!

Just a quick release, so nothing majorly new.

I've *finally* gotten around to releasing the wifi build of Quake for you all to play. This supports only infrastructure-mode networking, so you're gonna need an access point to play. There is no support for ad-hoc.
    Wifi performance is pretty sluggish, and you may find it not too your liking - I've done the best I can with the wifi library, but I just can't get low-latency performance out of it. Still massive kudos to sgstair though :-D
    You'll obviously get better results if a computer with plenty of processing power is hosting though. But you can still host on the DS if you want to (with a max of two players).

An on-screen keyboard has also been added so you can properly play Team Fortress now :-)
    You can also type in the IP you want to connect to etc, change your player name, bind buttons, use the console etc...
    Today's keyboard has been brought to you by...ScummVM DS!

There are also a few bug fixes for the people who got the 'freeing precaches' crash bug in pre2. There is no fixed game saving for the people who got corrupt saves in pre2 (well I've added code to handle drivers which don't support unaligned saving, but I couldn't fix all corrupt saves - YMMV).

Mod support has also been improved a bit - dodgy QuakeC code no longer crashes (as much), some deathmatch bots are known work (I've been told Reaper and Omicron work), I've had a go with Quake Rally, Quake-done-Quake (with a vengeance), Team Fortress (not single player)... These are only the things that I have personally tested, and I'd just expect most mods to work out of the box, assuming the models are in pak files.

If you're only interested in playing single player I recommend avoiding this build as the addition of the wifi code has greatly reduced the RAM that I fought long and hard for, so some levels may not be playable or may thrash.

The usual shimmy, including instructions etc lives at:
    http://quake.drunkencoders.com/

Peace.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

It sounds awesome but I'm sadly not able to play online because I can't get my wifi stick modified for it. -_-'

This is awesome, but too bad I don't have the files on my card already...

If they're on a different network you'll have to type it in but if they're on the same subnet you can just use the search for local games option.

Make sure both machines have valid IP addresses. You should be able to ping your DS, y'know? :-)

DCEmu Newbie

This project really seems to be coming along great now. Its soo smooth and good looking. I hope multiplayer get more covenant to play :S it's got me confused.

I'd really like to be able to increase the pen sensitivity. The mouse sensitivity setting doesn't seem to make any difference.

metroid hunter style, double tap jumps would be nice to.

damn, i'd love to play this, but i dont have highspeed and im probably the only guy in my county with a flashcard. sounds pretty awesome simon!

sweet man. im downloading now

Dcemu Coder

great simonjhall :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

I must say... "NINTENDO and ID should give you a very high paying job!":thumbup:

Is it OK to have both versions on the same card. I have a M3 SD and the one before runs great. I have a passsme1/2 in slot 1 and the card goes in slot 2. Will that have ram for future projects?

Thats great, but i need a step by step instruction. my english is not so good. I got the game but how the ..... can i make the server configuration. i have an onscreen keybord??? and wich port. help me please.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information