Thread: Wii-kly Update: Three New Classic Games Announced For Wii Shop Channel

Blog Entries

Rev Wii-kly Update: Three New Classic Games Announced For Wii Shop Channel

The elves mining Nintendo's vaults for classic games have unearthed three new ones to add to the Wii Shop Channel. They feature ragers, lasers and, um, monkeys not in cages. Anyway, it's unlikely that you've played all three of these, so go ahead and check 'em out. Or the elves will cry.

The three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Donkey Kong Country 2™: Diddy's Kong Quest™ (SNES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): In the sequel to the immensely popular Donkey Kong Country™, Diddy Kong® gets the spotlight, along with his girlfriend, Dixie Kong™ - a great little monkey with a dangerous ponytail. The action starts on the wreck of King K. Rool's Gangplank Galleon that has apparently broken up on a reef offshore from the Kremlings' Island. Diddy and his friends will have to work together to rescue Donkey Kong®, exploring all the hidden areas of the Kremlings' island: a spooky haunted forest, treacherous swamps, a giant beehive oozing with sticky honey and lava-filled caves, just to name a few.

Streets of Rage™ 2 (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): To celebrate their defeat of the Syndicate exactly one year before, Blaze, Adam and Axel met for drinks. The next morning, Axel received a frantic phone call from Eddie "Skate" Hunter, Adam's younger brother, whom he was living with on the edge of the city. Blaze and Axel found Adam and Skate's house wrecked, and a picture showing Adam chained up at the feet of Mr. X. The city then once again returned to its nightmarish state as criminals ran rampant. Unable to contact their old friend in artillery, Axel and Blaze team up with Skate and Max Thunder to free the city and rescue Adam from the Syndicate. It is up to you to take down Mr. X once and for all.

Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): Blazing Lazers is a vertical-scrolling shooter that was praised for surpassing the limitations of the hardware of its time. Players control the extraordinary firepower of their Gunhed Star Fighter to take on the Dark Squadron that has begun its invasion of Earth. Collect power-ups to increase your ship's battle strength so it can cut through enemies and defeat the bosses in all nine areas. Of course, as part of the "Soldier" series, the game contains a good combination of fast-paced speed with catchy, drum-propelled background music, coupled with the Field Thunder that can be used to destroy enemies in one fell swoop for the ultimate sense of satisfaction. With its fine-tuned difficulty levels, Blazing Lazers is a shooting game that anyone can enjoy.

Cool, new additions, but Super Mario RPG, when it is released will be the biggest

Ha ha ha, or buy a modchip like i did, i already have most of the good snes nes, and a couple n64 games, i say mod chip is the way to go

DCEmu Rookie

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Man View Post
    Ha ha ha, or buy a modchip like i did, i already have most of the good snes nes, and a couple n64 games, i say mod chip is the way to go
    There is no need for a modchip if you want to play the old games, sdload and a decently sized sd card and you are set...
    This method has the advantage that the emus also have decent scalers, the old original vc games do not work on my tv on component cable, and I am not the only one affected by this problem...
    I basically just buy N64 games anymore, the reason simply is, that I cannot play older games, unless I switch back to RGB or composite cable.
    Nintendo could fix this, but the latest messages from them are along the lines, this is the way the games are meant to be played, so live with it.

Thread Information