Thread: RocketArena - Quake DS Mod

DCEmu Newbie

Default RocketArena - Quake DS Mod

I don't know if anyone has done anything with mods for Quake DS, but with the help of Simon I finally managed to get Rocket Arena working. I also included custom maps that are low on poly count to help increase the game's speed.

You can play Rocket Arena from the non-wifi version of Quake DS, and it comes it two flavors, Rocket Arena and Deathmatch.

The Bots are powered by Mr.Elusive's Omicron Bots, which learn the maps and your pathing to make them very competitive. There's a set number of random bots with their own skin and abiilties. You can add and remove bots until you find one with the challenge level you are comfortable with.

A full version fo Quake is required, as well as using PakExplorer to modify your PAK0.PAK file to run this mod. Without a commandline, there's no other way possible. You're simply overwriting files, and adding new files that the mod needs. I cannot distribute the PAK file premade, but I can provide the files you can add to your own.

I'm waiting on an reply from Simon Hall before I release these PAK file additions, but in the meantime, here's a pic and youtube:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6...arenadsvl3.jpg

DCEmu Coder

zomgosh you 1337 h4x0r

*edit* ...never mind, I had this huge writeup of how you could just put everything in (id1/)PAK2.PAK, but then noticed you mentioned the non-WiFi build of QuakeDS

*edit The Third* ...annnd also remembered the WiFi build supports command line options anyway, so...yeah...I should actually read posts all the way :P

Good work

DCEmu Newbie

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JLsoft View Post
    *edit* ...never mind, I had this huge writeup oâ how you could just put everything in (id1/)PAK2.PAK, but then noticed you mentioned the non-WiFi build of QuakeDS

*edit The Third* ...annnd also remembered the WiFi build supports command line options anyway, so...yeah...I should actually read posts all the way :P

Good work
    Thanks!

And to address your edits, yeah, I pulled out a lot of hair figuring out things had been changed from the way we would traditionally add mods to Quake. Thankfully SimonJHall was kind enough to steer me in the right direction with some of the flags he's set in order to get Q on the DS, as well as offering to help fix some issues the Mod has with QDS!

If everything goes as planned, I should have my resource files and a tutorial on how to create your very own RocketArena PAK file up tonight. I'm not sure when, but Simon has just offered to compile a new executable that addresses a small alias this Mod is lacking (an audio call), so this should be a very streamlined and full-experience Mod once it's ready.

On a side note, you can also use these maps for online matches, their low polycount keeps things a little smoother.

I'd really like to encourage others to build DS-specific maps. They're rather easy with Worldcraft, and it's always rewarding to see your efforts in-game! There's a small PocketQuake community I helped start on the PocketPC (skinned, tested, modded, maps, configged), and they've got a set of maps they've contributed for the cause. I'm going to get in contact with the authors and ask if they'd mind me redistributing them for the DS. They are also low in polycount, and down right impressive compared to my legoland maps.

Haha, I've just had a go and originally I was quite skeptical (due to the rebinding of the controls temporarily) but it's actually pretty entertaining!
    And that 'three, two, one' - nice voice :-)

There are console glitches when this is played with the wifi build - this is partly my fault but also due to the length of the strings in Omicron. Hopefully we can sort this out. Also the deathmatch hud is far too high with the SP build...as I didn't expect people to be playing deathmatches with the single player game!
    I'll see if we can fix these problems!

(also when you rebind the fire button, how do you do that? please don't hard code it else the lefties will complain!)

But yeah I'd like to encourage people to make maps for the DS - I can't tell you how cool it is to see something you've made running on your DS! Plus it's also really nice to see something you've made in someone else's YouTube vid :-D

PS: the command line should be available in all pre2 builds, not just the wifi build. However it's the OSK which is only available in the wifi build.

DCEmu Newbie

Talking

Hi Mr.Hall,

Thanks for chiming in and giving an update on that new executable. You ain't joking, that 3-2-1 voice is awesome for gettin' you in the mood for some quick frags to pass the time.

I just got home and am about to start tearing open my PAK files to see where i can streamline this thing to better make use of what you've made available for projects such as this, like that text file command line.

As for binding the firebutton... I changed it using the in-game-menu. I might have migrated it from there into a config, but I doubt it. The only buttons I am actually scripting, perse, are DPAD XYAB. The two buttons closest to the screen are weapons up and down, and the two farthest are add/remove bot.

Welp, I'll be back in a bit, time to start PAKkin

That will be fun!

Default Great work

This is great work, both Simon and x99x. It's fun rediscovering an old game. But it runs very well. It makes me want to try other mods.

It would be helpful see both a) what settings to adjust for mods on the DS and b) what mapmaking recommendations you have for the DS.

Also, I tried loading a map with the following but it would not work:

-game<newline>
    +map kustok<newline>
    <end of file>

Thanks.

Thread Information