Thread: Wii Firmware update, Shopping Channel Redesigned

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Wii Firmware update, Shopping Channel Redesigned

With the Wii Shop Channel being down for 3 hours yesterday, it was because Nintendo updated the firmware on the Wii to include many small but nice features and even according to anecdotal evidence increase the speed of the UI. Also updated is the Wii Shopping Channel.

Channels:
    • Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
    • Forecast Channel now displays the current condition (cloudy, raining, etc.) directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
    • News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button
    • Message Board now has the "Today's Accomplishments" message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
    • Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B (supposed to be a launch feature) but only to empty spaces.
    • Calendar in Message Board no longer shows "Today's Accomplishment" only days as having messages.

Wii Shop Channel Overhauled
    • New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost (gone is the title screen bar that had linkable games)
    • Titles You've Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
    • New ways to browse
    • Popular Titles (2 pages of 10 and includes launch games so not only based on recent info)
    • Newest Additions remains the same
    • Search for a title which can use partial names
    • Search by Category
    • System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
    • Publisher showing different publishers and amount of titles released (Nice logos!)
    • Genre (different genres listed and amount of titles under each)

Mod Chip Warning

After you update and go back to the update section to before a "test update" you will be greeted with a message that says something to effect that if you have a modified Wii your console may be disabled or lock up. Mod Chippers owned? If you want to cancel you have to power down your system.

Source: Vooks

DIGG THIS
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

if you have a modchip dont worry cause it wont brick its working fine with my wiinja, its just a precausion to save their own arses if infact it does brick they can say well we told you so

About time they had an update...though this doesn't really add much.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by $n!pR View Post
    About time they had an update...though this doesn't really add much.
    Usually it is the under-the-covers updates that go into these firmware updates that contain the real gems. I haven't updated my Wii yet, but plan to this evening. Could be interesting if this update contains some of the upcoming potential for the "homebrew" channel they have been talking about for a while.

Mike

Tested working with Wiiley.

well i do like the clock so i dont have look anywere else i aslo was hopeing they would do somthing bout the sever on wi fi when playing online but everything is ok i guess

DCEmu Newbie

I'm pretty unimpressed with the clock. It looks like a bit of an afterthought just to fill in an empty space in the UI.

The whole update itself inspires an overwhelming "meh" I think.

I don't have a modchip so I don't know anything about that but it's my understanding that this blocks some softmods possibly including Action Replay, SD Media Loader, Freeloader, and GCOS.

if u havent heard you can use USB keyboards now - in everything except the opera channel (cos channels are separate from the firmware)

I thought "woo, new features!" and updated.

Then I just read a news item elsewhere that Freeloader no longer works, so I thought I'd better check SD Media Launcher as they're both Datel products.

And sure enough, the SDML disc won't boot. Looks like Nintendo are really cracking down, even on legal homebrew.

So whatever you do, if you want homebrew on your Wii and don't want to get a modchip, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE!
    My development blog:
    http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/

If you enjoy my homebrew work, please consider donating a few bucks.

Thread Information