Thread: RosettaShard v.8.6

Blog Entries

psp RosettaShard v.8.6

Via PSPHacks

No longer are you tasked with the hassle of converting distorted Rosetta Stone audio files. A PC application was slated for release allowing ease of audio conversion, but scratch that — v.8.6 fixes all the audio issues. Now learn an entire language without converting jack squat!

foebea notes:

Voila! Crazyc over at the ever wonderful ps2dev found that the SWA mp3 files from Rosetta Stone have an unusual 324 byte header, and it is this rather than buffer overflows, memory leaks, or some other difficult to track culprit. By recompiling the psp library ‘libmad’ with OPT_STRICT turned on, when it decodes the mp3 it skips over the header.

What was happening is the decoder was expecting a header of a certain size, and these were encoded without meeting the standard, so were a different size. So the decoder got to what it thought was the end of the header and the beginning of the sound and started playing. So each ‘frame’ or sample of sound was corrupted, starting somewhere in the middle and ending somewhere in the next sample, totally screwing it up.

Bottom line, I just recompiled v.8.5 and it magically became v.8.6
    This is not compatible with v.9a

Now you should be able to use all languages (with the exceptions of languages which would not even start in .8.5) without any conversion needed at all for audio or images.

This will of course be included in v.9 which I am still on track for. Unfortunately due to the heat mirage, it is difficult to tell exactly how long that track is at this time.

Just replace this newly compiled EBOOT.PBP in your existing RosettaShard installation.

Download: RosettaShard v.8.6 (update) | RosettaShard v.8.5 (full)

Download above and Give Feedback Via Comments

Downloading now and checking it out!
    It'd be great to be able to take my Rosetta Stone on the go...

ok.. I'm getting an error...

1st, I'm not getting a corrupt data symbol for my RosettaShard% folder like I normally do for everything else ( I'm still running normal 1.5 )

2nd, I'm getting the game could not be loaded message.

Anyone else having a problem with this?

Thread Information