Thread: PS2 Aimed At Emerging Markets

ps2 PS2 Aimed At Emerging Markets

via Spong

During his Tokyo Games Show keynote, Sony Computer Entertainment president, Kaz Hirai, said that the company plans to target emerging markets with the PS2.

Hirai demonstrated how the PS2 has outsold the PSOne (it's now sold 120 million units worldwide) and emphasised the fact that it's now an easier platform to develop for than the PS3.

Hirai told the audience:

"I've been telling people we have to come back to our basics at SCE so we can provide a lot more interesting games and entertainment opportunities. This has become the most important priority. I think with the PS3 we took a very important first step to move into the future of PlayStation, but... I would like to share some important ideas on how to expand our PS business."

Giving the PS2 a renewed focus is an unconventional move, with platform holders typically de-emphasising previous generation hardware once a newer model has come along. Whether the move is an attempt to bolster profits in the face of an under-performing PS3 or a bold new marketing direction that hardware companies should have been following all along remains to be seen.

Hirai also took the opportunity provided by his keynote to announce rumble for the PS3, showcase the PSP's remote play functionality and reveal that Home has been delayed.

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    You know your new consoles not doing well when you old console still out-sells it by 50%.
    Seems to me more like Sony themselves have realized they squirted PS3 out of the gates far too soon.
    Saying "console over!" and insisting everyone move over to the new $600 wonder turned out to bite them right square in the ass. Had they waited another year or two, the mythical "Home" would have been done and up, the base price would be about $200 less, games that aren't "Madden" or "Tiger Woods" would actually exist in quantities worth justifying a system purchase, and everyone who bought a Wii or X360 instead would have been hungry for a new system again.

Seems to me more like Sony themselves have realized they squirted PS3 out of the gates far too soon.
    Saying "console over!" and insisting everyone move over to the new $600 wonder turned out to bite them right square in the ass.
    Have you forget that MS started it all ?? The Xbox V1 could have done so much more.. Its MS strategy to try to chops legs. The upcoming uk Ps3 ''lite'' will help.. Any price cut will do.

Thread Information