Thread: Microsoft developing for Nintendo DS

Blog Entries

Default Microsoft developing for Nintendo DS

Last week, rumors began to surface that the Xbox 360 would allow gamers to download Micrsoft-developed games onto Nintendo's DS handheld. Given that Nintendo's handhelds are its main source of revenue, Microsoft creating new content for the DS would be giving ammunition to its archrival in the current- and next-generation console wars. Such a move struck many industry-watchers as being highly unlikely, if not outright lunacy.

However, it now appears that Microsoft may be crazy like a fox. This week, evidence surfaced confirming that the company is indeed developing games for the DS. It came in the form of two job listings on the official Web site for Rare Ltd., the Britain-based developer of Conker: Live and Reloaded for the Xbox and Perfect Dark Zero for the Xbox 360. Rare is wholly owned by Microsoft, and is part of its Microsoft Game Studios suite of internal developers, which also includes Halo-makers Bungie Software.

The first advertisement, under the "Artist Vacancies" subsection, calls for submissions from "EXPERIENCED 3D ARTISTS (NINTENDO DS)." The position requires for a "Good understanding of 3D packages (preferably Maya), strong modeling and texturing abilities, imagination and motivation are all required from anyone hoping to join our Develop award-nominated team in creating key DS titles."

The second advertisement, under "Software Vacancies," asks for "GAMES PROGRAMMERS (NINTENDO DS)." Applicants must "be motivated, enthusiastic and skilled in C/C++ to join our dedicated handheld team, recently nominated for a Develop Industry Excellence Award. 3D skills also an advantage in creating high-profile titles for this unique system."

Although job listings by a Microsoft-owned studio for DS developers would strike most as definitive proof that the company is making games for Nintendo's handheld, nothing is official--yet. When asked by GameSpot, a Microsoft spokesperson declined comment. "At this time, we have nothing to announce in regards to Rare developing titles for the DS," said the rep.

Ironically, the as-yet-unidentified DS titles will not be the first that Rare has made for Nintendo. Prior to Microsoft's purchase of the studio in, Rare was a Nintendo-only operation, making games exclusively for the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube before Microsoft bought it in 2002.

Since then, however, Rare has developed several titles for Nintendo's other portable, the Game Boy Advance. However, these have largely been legacy deals to port existing Rare titles, including last year's remake of its 1985 Commodore 64 game Sabre Wulf and the upcoming version of its 1996 SNES title Donkey Kong Country 3.

I think this will most likely turn out to be just old N64 Rare games ported to DS. Also Rare have really lost their touch when it comes to the quality of its games.

That said im still hoping this turns out to be a pixel-perfect port of Goldeneye, with touch screen aim and 8 player Wi-Fi deathmatches in Facility... *drools*

This is def something I am going to lok for updates on. Microsoft, Rare and the DS. Something tells me that could be a good idea....I hope things go well as its better then Microsoft trying to launch a Portable. (Not that I do not have faith in their abilities to do so, they could and would probably do a great job that surpasses what we have now, but its another in the market and right now they need to focus on keeping the big ball rolling before playing with another department/venue)

microsoft + nintendo = domination.

I doubt this is happening.. but how cool would that be?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 1timeuser
    microsoft + nintendo = domination.

Idk bout that, with those two powerhouses together it might do more evil than good. i like microsoft how it is. i dont wanna see all the $#@!ty nintendo games on the 360 (excluding the select good ones like marios and zeldas and all those nice and RECYCLED games which is nintendos biggest money makers for the console, i swear how much longer can they recycle these games, i mean cmon how many mario partys are there, think about it lol. Nintendo is in need of some NEW developing and so far from what ive heard about the revolution they still dont see that) hopefully this microsoft/nintendo thing stays where it is

SaRlA

Quote Originally Posted by sarla1596
    Idk bout that, with those two powerhouses together it might do more evil than good. i like microsoft how it is. i dont wanna see all the $#@!ty nintendo games on the 360 (excluding the select good ones like marios and zeldas and all those nice and RECYCLED games which is nintendos biggest money makers for the console, i swear how much longer can they recycle these games, i mean cmon how many mario partys are there, think about it lol. Nintendo is in need of some NEW developing and so far from what ive heard about the revolution they still dont see that) hopefully this microsoft/nintendo thing stays where it is

SaRlA
    well, like i said, i doubt that would ever happen. your reply is also completely your opinion. I, as many other people do, like nintendos games just the way they are... well, mario party sucks.

Thread Information