Thread: ESRB on the Defense

General games ESRB on the Defense

via Next Generation

For two organizations that claim to have the same interests in mind, one would think the ESRB and NIMF would get along just fine. But the two organizations who place parents and children on a pedestal are butting heads once again.

Following the release of this year's annual Video Game Report Card, in which NIMF gave the games industry a lukewarm "C" overall, ESRB president Patricia Vance defended strides made in the ratings system and parental awareness.

She said in a statement she appreciates the praise given to the ESRB in the report (the ESRB received a "B"), but added, "...In many significant ways, this year's NIMF Report Card contradicts recent Federal Trade Commission (FTC) findings related to parents' awareness, use and satisfaction with ESRB ratings, as well as retailer support of the ratings."

Vance noted how the FTC found in a recent study that 87 percent of parents were satisfied with the ESRB ratings and found them helpful.

NIMF accused the ESRB of mishandling Manhunt 2, a game that the ESRB initially rated "adults only," essentially barring the title from release in a public controversy. Developer Rockstar censored the intense violence that had been flagged, and achieved a less restrictive "mature" rating for the game months after the game was originally scheduled for release.

However, the PSP version of Manhunt 2 still contained violent content, although it was only made accessible by users who hacked into the handheld. NIMF in effect said the "ratings process has not kept up with technological advances."

Vance added in her response, "NIMF exhibits a significant lack of understanding of and, as a result, grossly misrepresents the facts surrounding last month's hack into pirated versions of Manhunt 2.

"...At a time of year when parents are looking for helpful guidance about video games, this year's Report Card does little more than sow unwarranted doubt about effective tools like ESRB ratings."

DCEmu Newbie

Default ESRB Ratings are good enough!!

87% of parents are satisfied with the ratings system??? that's only b/c the other 13% don't care and then get mad when their Children get ahold of Mature rated games with blood/gore and language....It's not that hard to follow.....ALL games have a ESRB rating.....it's easy to spot, always on the bottom left of the game case with the descriptors on the back....all the game stores i've been to, and places like WalMart, have rating system posted at least once! I see more rating info for video games than I do anti-drug ads! *IF* a parent over-looks the rating info on a game when their kids are renting a game or if a friend of their child that is allowed to play higher rated games comes for a visit, all the game consoles now (and even the old Xbox) has a Parental Control setting...even the PSP has parental control settings....Regarding the ManHunt2 censor hack on PSP, well, what do you expect? ManHunt2 was altered after it was actually ready to be released, all that was done was RockStar put a "patch" in the code to censor the violence...the game was NOT re-written just to apply the patch...that would have prolonged the entire release of it and probably not have been released at all if RockStar had to re-code the game! It's like "The Punisher" on Xbox....it went to a greyscale visual of the kills...but using a hack, the censor could be removed....IF the government were to regulate game ratings, maybe it would be better....then there could be some legal action over the game ratings and underage customers like they do on Tobacco and Alcohol sales....maybe that will reduce the BS about video games corrupting kids minds and causing them to be violent and go on shooting spree's....which I think is total BS anyway.....I was 8 when Mortal Kombat was released and been playing games with blood/gore in them ever sense and I have never hurt anyone or mocked a video game scene for the sake of "i thought they'd come back to life" or "i saw it in Mortal Kombat"....that is the most ignorant claim ever.....people that can't get a grasp on fiction and reality need to be in a straight-jacket in a padded room.....sorry, but thats just the way it is....

Thread Information