Thread: PS3 Blu-ray upgrade expected this month

ps3 PS3 Blu-ray upgrade expected this month

via Computer and Video Games

Sony expects to have an update for PS3 later this month that will add support for the next generation of Blu-ray playback features.

'Profile 1.1' is the newfangled name given to a new standard of Blu-ray playback which allows for a range of new features. These include picture-in-picture playback (so you could have a director talking in one window with the film running in another), support for downloadable content and much more.

Sony's latest (and more expensive) Blu-ray players already support Profile 1.1 features, and according to a Sony rep, speaking at recent press conference, the PS3 is likely to receive a firmware update that will add Profile 1.1 support later this month, reports The Digital Bits.

So there's STILL no reason to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player over PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrygue View Post
    So there's STILL no reason to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player over PS3.
    I'd be surprised if people bought standalone players over PS3.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm-Death View Post
    I'd be surprised if people bought standalone players over PS3.
    Well there probably are people out there who did (probably non-gamers). Those who bought one and later bought a PS3 for gaming, are the epitome of stupid.

A PS3 would have cost less than standalone Blu-Ray players last year at least. But hey anyone stupid enough to buy a PS3 and a standalone player deserve a pat on the back; at least they did double their part in helping Blu-Ray become the more popular format. :rofl:

DCEmu Old Pro

If your a non gamer it is a pretty good chance you wouldn't know that the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player.

Anyways, Sony needs to finalize their standard they have had more than enough time to do so.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jamotto View Post
    If your a non gamer it is a pretty good chance you wouldn't know that the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player.

Anyways, Sony needs to finalize their standard they have had more than enough time to do so.
    1.1 is, supposedly, the final revision to the standard, so I don't think there will be any updates to blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    Well there probably are people out there who did (probably non-gamers). Those who bought one and later bought a PS3 for gaming, are the epitome of stupid.

A PS3 would have cost less than standalone Blu-Ray players last year at least. But hey anyone stupid enough to buy a PS3 and a standalone player deserve a pat on the back; at least they did double their part in helping Blu-Ray become the more popular format. :rofl:
    Yeah, I really didn't think about that. Poor, misled buyers, thanks for helping BD!

DCEmu Legend

I am just hoping that the majority of standalone players have the ability to get a firmware upgrade, otherwise there will be alot of unhappy customers.

DCEmu Old Pro

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    I am just hoping that the majority of standalone players have the ability to get a firmware upgrade, otherwise there will be alot of unhappy customers.
    Unfortunately, none of the standalone players can be upgraded to 1.1 except the PS3. What's even better is 1.1 is not the final revision, 2.0 is expected sometime and it will add BD-Live.

Thread Information