Thread: Nintendo Revolution: The Last Stand?

Blog Entries

Default Nintendo Revolution: The Last Stand?

I was arguing with a friend recently with regards to Nintendo's upcoming new system titled the Revolution. I explained to him that having felt shafted by my investment in the Gamecube I could no longer trust Nintendo. I reminded him that when video game magazines were feeding us tidbits of info way back in 1995 about Nintendo 64, we were overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation. Looking back, I can easily count the number of great games that came out for N64 using two hands.

Then came the Gamecube, gaming sites claimed it was the system that was going to redeem Nintendo for its lost years of providing loyal enthusiasts with the well-deserving hours of video-game gratification reminiscent of the days when Super Nintendo reigned supreme. But alas, once again as I look back, or in this case as I look at my stack of Gamecube games, I see that give or take a disappointment or two – enter super Mario sunshine and Mario Kart: Double Dash – I can easily count the number of great games that came out for Gamecube using two hands. Now, I will admit that I am certain the next instalment in the Zelda series scheduled for release this November will make up for a lot but this is my point: less than ten great games is not enough.

I suppose that part of the problem is that Nintendo has been catering more and more to a younger audience hence we see less than three releases of the Nintendo champs such as Zelda and so many bothersome sequels to Mario Party. Regardless, now that Gamecube is nearing obsoletion Nintendo is going to have to level up its status and hopefully it can when the Revolution is released sometime in 2006.

I somewhat feel guilty for trying to tackle the Revolution when we still no so little but it only seems fair since Xbox 360 and PS3 having been pumping the masses with raw synergy and hype.

So let's get started.

Apparently Revolution is the code name and not the official name (note, Nintendo said the same thing prior to the official release of the Nintendo DS). The system itself is about the size of three DVD cases stacked on top of each other and has a custom-built IBM CPU that we don't know anything about just yet.

In terms of connectivity the Revolution has built in Wi-Fi meaning you need a wireless router - an innovative idea but also a risky one as not everybody has one.

Just like with the Gamecube, you will not be able to play DVD's on it but a DVD support device will be sold separately. The case Nintendo is making with this – and I must say, I agree – is that most people own a DVD player nowadays and to manufacture the system without it makes it inexpensive to manufacture and inexpensive for the consumer; expect the revolution to be priced no higher than $350.

The system will be backwards compatible, accepting the new 5-inch discs and Gamecube 3-inch discs. In fact, a cover on the top of the system opens to reveal Gamecube controller ports and memory-card ports. This is an interesting idea except one of the main reasons the system is named revolution is rumoured to be the new controller – of which we still know nothing about! This actually scares me a bit in view of the fact that I still haven't got into the swing of using the stylus with the Nintendo DS. Consequently the Revolution could be quashed before it starts, which is the fate of so many revolutions these days, if Nintendo gets just a bit too imaginative says I. But then again, Nintendo hasn't disappointed with controllers, console-wise so far.

Unlike PS3 and Xbox 360 the Revolution is not specifically designed for HDTV as Nintendo believes most gamers could not care for it. Also worthy of mention is that the system has two USB ports, a first for a Nintendo system.

Lastly, the Revolution's internet subscription will apparently be free, a move that could single handidly turn the tide in the ongoing console wars. Games from previous Nintendo systems as far back as the original NES will be available for download but this, I'm certain, will not be free.

To finish, if you read my column a few weeks back in which I ranked the number one games for the current systems, I ranked Super Smash Bros melee the victor for Gamecube. Now, I've always said – and most people agree with me – that nothing would have been finer than an online multiplayer version. So although I've taken a considerable amount of time to condemn Nintendo for its mistakes with its current and previous systems, I will whole-heartedly admit that if done correctly, an online Smash Bros for revolution will undoubtedly give the Nintendo the best shot they've had in nearly a decade at completely turning the tables in the North American market; a revolution that is desperately needed.

I tend to think that the Revolution will certainly be Nintendo's last chance in the console market. I bought a Gamecube because the Dreamcast wasn't going to live much longer (I still got one later on anyways due to disappointment with the Gamecube), and I figured Sega would put the majority of their support to the Gamecube. The first year, I was quite satisfied with the Cube. Metroid Prime, SSBM, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Timesplitters 2. But as time went on, things indeed started to look bleak. Third party support was no good, the great first party titles were few and far between, and generally, I found myself wanting an Xbox more and more. P.N. 03 was always one of my most wanted Gamecube titles, and, I figured the game would be what saved my interest in the system. I went out and bought it the first day, only to feel even more let down by the system. Resident Evil 4 has been the only thing that has made the system worthwhile to me. So, this coming generation, I'm making the jump to Xbox 360. I might get a Revolution, but, I really doubt it.

I think revolution will do fine. If not here then in japan. GC was not a bad system really, just largely over looked for some reason.

i think it will do great, my opinoin

1 time usaer, iam making new sig 600 x 170 which is smaller and will be like 200kb or less instead of my last 466kb one just for you

sorry never again, danm i went of topic once more, sorry will be last

Thread Information