Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piracy Plagueing the Wii

Blog Entries

Rev Piracy Plagueing the Wii

As a homebrew fan im really encouraged by the recent events and articles from the likes of brushing and TMBinc, the Zelda exploit could be the best way to get full on Wii homebrew yet.

The mouthwatering games that could be coded by the homebrew community to make full use of the Wii could really open up the mainstream even more to hobbyist coders.

But with every good news comes the bad, now there are Wii Modchips out there and im sure at some stage that the first homebrew will only be available via using a modchip so they are a neccessity in that respect.

The downside to this is the Piracy aspect and the recent postings on many sites of how to get Super Mario Galaxies and Super Smash Bros Brawl working.

This may bring Scene sites many visitors but ultimately gives Nintendo and the likes the green light to clamp down even more on any hacking or homebrew done on their consoles.

Does Piracy harm the homebrew/hacking community give your honnest views via comments

Blog Entries

Two sides of one coin in a sense. Homebrew is great but it has its other sides and purposes.

Piracy is hurting the homebrew community while homebrew encourages it at the same time.
    I'd say pirating in any generation of consoles is hurting Nintendo the most.

DCEmu Newbie

Zelda exploit?

DCEmu Rookie

why cant people just be decent enough to buy the game?

can soemone explain what the zelda exploit is? i seem to have missed that one.
    on topic i think the only way to get homebrew without piracy is to release legal dev tools for enthusiasts, and if these were quality enough im sure most people would be happy with updates to plug piracy holes once in a while.

Wii User

Do I think this will harm homebrew today? Well, yeah, obviously. But do I think it will harm homebrew today more than it will later? No.

Action will obviously be taken soon, but, I believe it will affect "tomorrow" more for this reason:

Obviously, Nintendo will take action against all this piracy crap. Nintendo will (try to) come up with a way to stop the piracy with later consoles, and, I believe they'll do it with homebrew, too. Therefore, a larger amount of players who buy consoles later (and are interested with modding their Wii) will miss out on the chance that those people with Wiis today have..

Rubbish. This is even more apparent with the wii, where a drive chip couldn't even allow you to run homebrew much more easily than a factory wii.

As for it affecting the eyes of Nintendo, remember that emulators are also piracy if you're using commercial roms; again more apparent thanks to virtual console. Also, companies don't really like people running homebrew unless it's in a controlled environment, so regardless of piracy nintendo will probably want to patch any exploit.
    Was Sony aggressive towards those psp fanjita picture hacks that didn't allow isos? i can't remember, but that's probably the best example of a company's actions towards homebrew-only.
    Last edited by goity; February 3rd, 2008 at 12:06.

DCEmu Rookie

sony has patched every exploit ever found on the psp but alot of places complain about chips being used for piracy make the consoles reigon free and then people wont need a chip for imports and wont have the option to play pirate games.

as for homebrew tools nintendo has some out fairly soon and suposadly some coming for the ps3 using linux from the actual firms but to be honest this isnt anything new does any1 rember the black ps1's they sold for a while.

If Nintendo starts pressing down on the homebrew scene it could be devastating. We already have Sony completely against us and any other forces upon us could slowly discourage coders from releasing their creations. As long as DCemu stays to anti-piracy we will be fine. Nintendo's going to make a come back soon though. Both their main products the Wii and The NDS are at risk from extreme piracy and this may effect their sales greatly. People need to realize that if you don't actually buy the games Nintendo can't make a major profit which could mean that certain games and products could be effected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information