Thread: Is the Game Boy the Toughest Product Ever Made?

Blog Entries

GBA Is the Game Boy the Toughest Product Ever Made?

CNET is running an article about tough technology, which aptly includes the Nintendo Game Boy, a device so tough that mine still works after many years. 'There's no two ways about it: the original Game Boy is one of the hardest gadgets ever conceived. Rumor has it this beige behemoth isn't made of plastic, but from the skulls of fallen Gurkhas. If you ever saw one that was broken, it's because it lost a boxing match with a nuclear bomb — on points.' So do you agree that the Game Boy is the toughest consumer electronics device ever made?

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/05/185255

i recall egm doing a feature like this when the gba was released after reminiscing about gameboys being recovered from the snow and rain and still working after drying out properly (not turning them on while wet). i believe they decided to give their gba "the flush test" and it passed and proved a worthy successor to the gb. but who'd want to game on a device that had been in the toilet?

Yeah I think the article is right.

DCEmu Rookie

I'd agree, if only on the fact that I've actually left a gameboy out in the snow and mud, cleaned it off, let dry out, and watched in amazement as it booted up.

To date my ds has survived a horse stepping on it(it was in mud), being dropped repeatedly(had to fix the L button but a little prying and poking wokred there), and the dog getting hold of the thing.

DCEmu Coder

I had screens go bad on several gameboys though. Scanlines being dropped entirely (and sometimes vertical lines too, strangely enough).
    http://gpsp-dev.blogspot.com/

I haven't quit gpSP, just put it on hiatus for a while.

Games like Super Mario Advance 3, Riviera and Sword of Mana actually DO work in gpSP, believe it or not. If they don't work for you then you're using the faulty BIOS. Don't argue with me, it's true; the sooner you accept this the sooner you can move on.

DCEmu Rookie

I had two gameboys, I gave the beige one to my little sister. Last I saw it, it'd been through a lot but still in one piece. My clear one on the other hand (that I kept) had the cover for the screen come off. A little glue and it was back to normal. But for what they've both been through I'd say you're right. :thumbup:

my brother has had one for a very long time.
    and it still works.
    i even use it still, sometimes.

i only have gbc, but it still works perfect.
    you know the yellow pokemon bundle..

Thread Information