Thread: 45nm Cell Means Cheaper PS3

ps3 45nm Cell Means Cheaper PS3

via Kotaku

From 90mm to 65mm to 45mm - IBM has announced details on a smaller, more efficient version of the Cell BE processor, which of course is the brains inside every shiny new PlayStation 3.

IBM will soon migrate from the 65nm process currently used to manufacture the chips to their next generation 45nm high-k process, which results in a Cell that requires 40 percent less power, reducing cooling costs while a smaller die means higher yields and a lower overall cost. This gives Sony a choice - reduce the price of the system to increase their install base or just ride the cheaper process for awhile to work up a little profit. Also interesting to note is that once again the shrink comes with no performance tweaks, with IBM citing the need to maintain gaming software operation. In other words, IBM's Cell division is Sony's little b***h.

This pisses me off.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
    This pisses me off.
    Why? I mean, yeah it sucks for those of us who bought PS3s early on and the price went down. And with the smaller chips, they use less power and generate less heat, making them more efficient, but the way I see it, we all benefit from the PS3 being cheaper.

The cheaper it is, the more people will buy it and the more weight it will have in the market, which developers and publishers can then use to justify developing an exclusive game for the system or spending the extra money on developing a game equally for all the systems for multiplatform titles.

As well, a higher installed base will make more developers willing to add DLCs to the Store, advertise in Home, and will make Sony execs see a reason to dump more funding into the PSN, Home, Firmware upgrades, etc.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
    This pisses me off.
    Bigger is ALWAYS better. Thus, I'm proud to own an original ps3 with that sweet energy-luvin' 90mm Cell. Plus, my ps3 has more of those delightful vent-holes on its front than those newer ps3s. I win again.

If you are like me, and you have an original ps3, you should feel proud that you hold an original example of technology that will only keep getting smaller as time goes on. Regardless, you can rest easy that your ps3 will work just as well as its younger brethren.

Thread Information