Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuna vids v1.0 - Xvid/AVI Player for DS

Blog Entries

NDS Tuna vids v1.0 - Xvid/AVI Player for DS

News/release from Chism:

Tuna-viDS version 1.0 is out now. Source is available on the web page. It includes a skin by Ferrie, a file chooser and fixes a few bugs.

Tuna-viDS plays AVI files that contain Xvid encoded video and MP3 encoded audio

Controls
    Either touch the controls on screen, or use the following buttons:
    B - Play/Pause
    X - Toggle bottom backlight
    Left - increase video delay by one frame
    Right - decrease video delay by one frame
    Instructions
    Copy tuna-viDS.nds to the root of your flash card or to /DS/tuna-viDS/tuna-viDS.nds or to /data/tuna-viDS/tuna-viDS.nds
    DLDI patch tuna-open.nds and copy it to your flash card
    Run tuna-open.nds
    Select an AVI file to play

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Newbie

You forgot a H in chishm.

Anyway... the GUI is nice, but I can't get the filebrowsing to work... I did anything stated on the website, but it keeps halting at:

Opening blablabla.avi with /:fat0 tuna-viDS.nds

Anyone got this baby working with a M3 Simply / R4 ?
    Last edited by pas; February 20th, 2008 at 21:00.

DCEmu Rookie

Daaammnn, yesterday I just commented about how we have so many homebrew video players now, and I forgot about this and now we've got a final version of this. Amazing! Is there a specific encoder for the videos for this, or do we have to encode to the right specifications ourselves?

Also, it would be amazing if someone would integrate all the video codecs that people have made for DS and put them in one player, so we could use DPG, DSV, Xvid, DSM, etc. all in one player. These guys should collaborate or something and come up with a killer GUI. Maybe they can write moonshell plugins for their respective codecs, but moonshell's GUI is not as streamlined as DSVideo's GUI.
    Last edited by iofthestorm; February 20th, 2008 at 23:50.

I can't get this to load correctly. It loads the video, plays one frame of it, and then insists that the video has finished playing.

As for encoding videos, I used xvid mpeg-4 since I don't have any other encoder. You also have to resize the video to the DS resolutions (256x192 for fullscreen and 256x144 for widescreen) or else the program will blow up.

DCEmu Rookie

Hmm, I tried encoding with SUPER (a GUI frontend for ffmpeg) and I tried to load the file with the tuna-opener or whatever but it just said that the file was loading and did nothing for a while, so I just restarted by DS. DSVideo seems the best video player so far except the encoder crashed on my computer with one of my videos. Moonshell is nice but kind of unreliable and sometimes the audio seems desynched, and sometimes it seems to crash or not seek properly.

DCEmu Newbie

If you have Linux and use the command on his site, then it works deliciously :P

I just converted some videos today, it works excellently.

I made it easy on myself and made a few batch files for Windows. I just drag-and-drop my video file onto the batch file and it executes the conversion command for me. I had to make a few separate batch files depending on the output quality I wanted, but that wasn't a big deal.

The ability to fix out-of-sync issues alone makes this a useful video player.

Wow, I just tried it again using SUPER to encode, and it seems that the running framerate for this is 12.12FPS. The audio is indeed synced with the video and the video quality is amazing, but it's running REALLY slow.

Well yeah. Chishm has stated several times that 12 fps is basically the max Tuna-viDS can handle. Encode anything at a higher framerate than that and you're going to have some serious problems. I personally use 10 fps so that I can get up to ~344 kbps bitrate without it choking.

http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/tuna-vids/index.html

visit here for instructions

he also stated

Tuna-viDS plays videos with the following format:

Video: 256px wide, up to 192px tall, up to 12fps, Xvid encoded, non-interlaced
    Audio: Mono MP3
    Container: AVI with chunk index, video must be the first stream (fourcc 00dc)
    You can use ffmpeg to convert videos with this command (all one line):

ffmpeg -i <infile> -f avi -r 10 -s 256x192 -b 192k -bt 64k -vcodec libxvid -deinterlace
    -acodec libmp3lame -ar 32000 -ab 96k -ac 1 tuna-vids.avi
    This encodes the video as Xvid at 256×192px, 10fps, 192±64kbps. You can try up to 12fps, but anything higher will slow down the decoder too much. It encodes the audio as MP3 at monaural, 32kHz, 96kbps. It muxes it into an AVI container with the filename "tuna-vids.avi". Feel free to experiment with bit rates, sample rates, and frame rates. Just keep the video exactly 256px wide and no more than 192px tall.
    tuna-vids.nds needs to be in the root of your flash cart, and tuna-open.nds can be anywhere, just make sure you run tuna-open.nds, not tuna-vids.nds on your DS.

Oh and I forgot to add, but I use ImTOO mp4 converter, where you can easily change the settings to the requirements, and converting FFVII advent children only took about 10~20 minutes and it runs perfectly
    Last edited by psycoblaster; February 24th, 2008 at 04:59.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information