Thread: PS3 six USB port mod

DCEmu Newbie

Default PS3 six USB port mod

This is an update to the PS3 single rear USB port mod but now with six fully functioning ports.

PS3 six USB port mod

My PS3 now boasts six (6) fully functional USB ports, the original four in front, and two (2) in the rear. We used the facilities of Dominion Lasercom's R&D lab for our work location as this is a seriously complex (and frightening) mod.

Since their are no schematics or plans anywhere on the net to do this, we had a-lot of head scratching and hurdles to deal with, but in the end it worked out very well as you can see.

Basically what we've done is cut the data path from the internal USB controller chip on the PS3 to the #4 USB port (the one closest to the center).

We then wired the upstream connection on the "external" hub to the PS3's data output on those traces, thus tricking the PS3 into thinking there's a regular four port hub plugged into the front.

After that, we wired a downstream cable from the "external" hub back to the PS3's front USB port.

To activate the two rear USB ports we simply ran 2 pairs of data lines from the "external" hub.

All power to and from the "external" hub was handled with and old IDE HDD ribbon cable trimmed down to three wires: power, negative, and ground.

The results:

1. It works with no limitations

2. Anything can be plugged into the front and rear USB ports. This includes charging your Sixaxis controller, more hubs, Playstation Eye, external HDD, etc.

4. This setup is a true USB hub and I absolutely love it!

I am fully aware I could just plug in a hub, or get a USB extension cable and run it to the back...don't post these kinds of obvious solutions. If you ask me why I did it, my answer is..."why not?"

Blog Entries

thanks for the news

I don't mean to dig up an old thread but I found this by searching google for an xbox mod and I must give this modder some dap. This is pretty nice. Excellent job.

Thread Information