Thread: Sony: PS3 "in-game communication" update in summer

ps3 Sony: PS3 "in-game communication" update in summer

via Computer and Video Games

Talks of an in-game XMB are so frequent that we've got a keyboard macro dedicated to the phrase, but the waiting will finally be over this summer, according to SCEE big shot Ray Maguire.

Speaking to MCV of his glee at PS3 having reached 1 million sales faster than both the PSOne and PS2, Maguire said: "Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios."

In-game XMB access is a must because at the moment you can't access your friends list during a game, which is nothing short of madness.

But the gem in that statement - the imminent arrival of "in-game communication", should rectify these issues and the confirmation of a "summer" release helps to nail down the previously vague "2008" promise.

We wonder what other goodies will be in Firmware 2.4, and we also wonder when we became such firmware geeks. Read our huge '10 Steps to Perfect PS3 Firmware' feature to see what we mean.

April 15 - New PS Store.

New PS Store sounds fun. As for "summer..."

How wonderfully vague of them. Though I'm inclined to once again take up the mantra I do when video games are delayed. I would rather see it delayed, and released more completely, than to rush it and have a shoddy product.

How will it work? Will it be the full XMB? Or is it going to be like the PSP XMB so when you listen to music or watch pictures you can only multi task for a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    How will it work? Will it be the full XMB? Or is it going to be like the PSP XMB so when you listen to music or watch pictures you can only multi task for a few things.
    the clue is in the title.

In game communication features. Most likely hold the home button and small XMB will pop up and have the options for messaging, quit game, turn off console, and controller settings.

I think this confirms it isn't the complete menu.

Music can already play duringn web browsing and photos, as well as message features.
    In game music isnt a good thing, and neither is breaking up a gameplay experience in any other way.
    Last edited by Accordion; March 4th, 2008 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    the clue is in the title.

In game communication features. Most likely hold the home button and small XMB will pop up and have the options for messaging, quit game, turn off console, and controller settings.

I think this confirms it isn't the complete menu.

Music can already play duringn web browsing and photos, as well as message features.
    In game music isnt a good thing, and neither is breaking up a gameplay experience in any other way.
    In game music was great on the original Xbox, not so great any where else.

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    In game music was great on the original Xbox, not so great any where else.
    Yeah, I'm sure you experienced custom soundtracks in SSHD as well?

Any change can be a good change and i would prefer in game music menu compared to just a ingame xmb

Thread Information