Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: XCM USB VGA V-Box

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Review: XCM USB VGA V-Box

XCM USB VGA V-Box
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from TotalConsole
    Price: $59.99

Overview : Connect your Wii to a VGA screen. Record your gameplay on a hard disk for review, screen capture or to show your skills to friends!

The V-Box for Wii by XCM is more than just a VGA Box to connect your Wii console to any PC screens. It is USB based, you connect to any PC via USB 2.0 port and let you record or capture all that your Wii display on the screens.

An add-on recorder also can allow you to record DVD/VCD/CD via the V-Box from the disk player to your PC hard drive.

Features
    • Crystal Clear Picture Screen.
    • Supports USB 2.0, plug and play, does not require changing configuration
    • Supports Streaming Video, which can be stored in multiple formats including MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG-4/AVI/VCD/DVD/SVCD
    • Supports multiple picture file formats such as: JPEG, GIF etc.
    • Supports multiple input formats standards: NTSC/PAL/SECAM
    • Auto playback, allows you to store in game action to your PC/laptop
    • Additional optional addon recorder.
    • Image can be configured: Brightness/contrast/Image sharpness/fullness/color
    • Supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems
    • The V-Box is compatible with Mac OS X, if you purchase the eMPIA drivers and player for US $29.95: http://www.echofx.com/videoglide.html

Quality/Usability : The V-Box is a cool unique little adapter. It allows you to play and view your Nintendo Wii using your computer or laptop. This is perfect if your TV is being occupied by family members or a semi-portable solution. The V-Box comes with the V-Box adapter and instruction manual. You must download their software online at http://xcm.cc/v_box.htm (14MB).

You can download US/Japan Windows2000/XP/Vista (32bit) or Vista (64bit). Dont worry, European users (PAL) can download Windows2000/XP/Vista (32bit) or Vista (64bit). MAC user? You'll have to pay for the drivers and payer for $29.95 and can be purchased at http://www.echofx.com/videoglide.html. Installation of the software is fairly simple and the manual will guide you through it. During installation, I did run into a problem. An error messaged popped up and it was not mentioned in the manual. The error message was

Module C:\Program Files\XCM\XCM V-BOX\Filter\swflash.ocx failed to register. HRESULT-2147319780. Contact your support personnel.

I contacted XCM and they replied back telling me to click on the IGNORE button. The other two choices to choose from were CANCEL or RETRY. CANCEL will cancel the installation and RETRY would retry but would keep giving you the error message. So I went ahead and clicked on IGNORE. It then informed me to insert the USB V-Box. In the manual, it had a section regarding install the drivers. Since this was tested on Windows XP, I did not experience a pop up regarding installing and locating drivers. Windows XP automatically recognized the USB and setup the drivers.

Once all the drivers and software was set up. Its time to open up the software. The V-Box Interface looks nice. There are 6 menus to choose from: GAME, EDIT, PLAYER, PHOTO, WEB, SETTING.

- GAME: This is where all your Wii gameplay will be displayed. You can also record and take screenshot images.
    - EDIT: This a where you can edit your recordings/images
    - PLAYER: This is where you can play your recordings
    - PHOTO: This is where you can view all the screenshots that you have taken
    - WEB: This allows you to browse the web
    - SETTING: This allows you to change hardware (select your video; NTSC, PAL, SECAM), video (adjust brightness, contrast, chroma, saturation and sharpness) and record settings (select record quality; normal, high, highest and recording format).

The quality looks pretty good on the monitor. There is no lag or any delays. During my testing, I did not experience any problems with the V-Box. The recording feature works great and allows you to record you while you are playing so you can show off your friends or even save the recording to post on the web. You can also take screenshots of the game and the quality of the image is very nice as well.

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM USB VGA V-Box is a unique item. This is great for those who dont have a free TV to use and need to resort to using a computer or laptop. I love the fact that you can record and take screenshots of your gameplay. However, getting this to work was a little troublesome but once its set up and working, its a breeze.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 2nd, 2011 at 15:16.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Hmm it looks cool but the price tag is way to much 59.99 Pounds? thats like almost 100$ here (the price of a game) the only people i feel this would be usefull for is Gaming websites or magazines who need Nice videos or pictures.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grantlionheart View Post
    Hmm it looks cool but the price tag is way to much 59.99 Pounds? thats like almost 100$ here (the price of a game) the only people i feel this would be usefull for is Gaming websites or magazines who need Nice videos or pictures.
    Since when has $ been a pound sign???

---

Anyway I might purchase one of these for Wii use on my PC

Umm because its a uk site? i thought they might have used a $ sign by accident? better be safe then to just assume :P
    Plus 59.99 us is still about 75$ here about the price of warioware :P its a bit much.

does anyone know if this outputs 480p?

Quote Originally Posted by grantlionheart View Post
    Umm because its a uk site? i thought they might have used a $ sign by accident? better be safe then to just assume :P
    Plus 59.99 us is still about 75$ here about the price of warioware :P its a bit much.
    Although the site is hosted in the UK, I am based in the US. Majority of the users are from the US as well. All prices in the reviews are in USD. If they are in a different currency other than US dollars, I will put the correct currency symbol. Reason I dont put other amounts or currencies is because each site has their own different price as well as currency. So I usually put the suggested retail price of the product.

If you want to know what it would cost at a reseller, simply just click their link and it will take you directly to the product along with the price.

Quote Originally Posted by redsyrup View Post
    does anyone know if this outputs 480p?
    I do not think it outputs in 480p (progressive scan). The video quality is s-video...I believe.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi,

I bought this and the picture is qctually quite decent. However I have no sound. I'm using a desktop PC with an onboard Creative SB Audigy chip. I've tried it on someone elses laptop and both video and audio work. Could it just be something to do with my onboard audio?

Should I get a soundcard instead?...

Can anyone recomend one that they are currently using with the v-box?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by baggio4378 View Post
    Hi,

I bought this and the picture is qctually quite decent. However I have no sound. I'm using a desktop PC with an onboard Creative SB Audigy chip. I've tried it on someone elses laptop and both video and audio work. Could it just be something to do with my onboard audio?

Should I get a soundcard instead?...

Can anyone recomend one that they are currently using with the v-box?

Thanks!
    Sorry, I cant help you there as I dont know what could be causing it. I suggest you contact XCM with your problem. They can answer your question.

[email protected]

DCEmu Newbie

Hi i need some help. Mine came, but when i install it, a error box comes up saying something along the lines of 'the cabinet file 'disk.1' required from the installation is corrupt and cannot be used.' Please can you help me.!

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachirox View Post
    Hi i need some help. Mine came, but when i install it, a error box comes up saying something along the lines of 'the cabinet file 'disk.1' required from the installation is corrupt and cannot be used.' Please can you help me.!
    Ignore it if that option is available and see what happens. Or just email XCM at [email protected]. I didnt get any of that error message.

BTW, what operating system are you on? If on MAC, you must purchase eMPIA driver and player (link is in review).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information