Thread: Wii Soft Modding

Default Wii Soft Modding

Hey all, I just got a Wii like 2 days ago and as per usual with any console I own I am looking for ways to mod the sucker lol. I have found one tutorial on how to Soft Mod the Wii here: http://lifehacker.com/400581/hack-yo...d-dvd-playback But I am wondering si there a better way? And what are the cons to having it modded? For instance what limitations will I have. Such as loosing all online features (playing against people online, buying stuff with wii points, etc.) Thanks in advanced for any info/ advice

DCEmu Pro

Homebrew Channel is easily the best softmod.

The only known limitation is that some day, it's likely to get hosed by an update. That, and sending the Wii to Nintendo for repairs is right out. If you still have a warranty, it's probably best to wait.

Ok, well is there any cons besides loosing the warranty? and do i need everything in that tutorial i found in order to do it?

EDIT: Ok I got the game, and I got my sd card all set up. I just have to format the system to factory default to go back to 3.3.... Can I still Shop on the wii store, play games liek braw online? can i update to 4.0? what can brick my system?
    EDIT 2: Got everything under way but I cant overwrite the file on my wii system memory from the sd card :\ gives me the message "File already on Wii System memory" or something like that... help?
    zEDIT3: never mind. it would seem that doing the reset only put it back to a fresh 4.0U..... So I deleted my brawl for nothing at the moment... oh well at elast i wasnt overly far in the game i only had falco, capt falcon and marth unlocked anyways... ill just wait and start playing brawl again when the update the HBC
    Last edited by carlitx; April 25th, 2009 at 00:59.

Blog Entries

The best thing to do is stay on a firmware such as 3.3 and install the homebrew channel, which only then upgrade to 4.0 to use the shop channel.

Personally I haven't yet upgraded my Wii, but there is no harm in upgrading if you have the homebrew channel installed.

From my experience, there is nothing that can brick a Wii if you follow the instructions carefully. My Wii has been through many lengthy procedures and none have left my console in bad shape whatsoever... Except the fact I lost the ability to go into standby, though it's nothing because it functions normally.

Ok thanks Vampdude, But I already updated to 4.0 Oh well I guess I'll have to wait for a new hack lol... just like when i first got a PSP xD

Bumby!lol (sorry)

Ok herd about the working title exploit from comex. Seen the videos, seen all the news articles saying it would be released within a few days. Which were all dated for the 9th or 10th of April -_- And that's all i can find for news updates on ti are ones from a few weeks ago.... Does anyone have any knowledge of when this hack will be released? or even about the progress of the hack? thanks again.

Blog Entries

I have no knowledge of the hack, except for what I've read (Banner Bomb? loads via the SD in Data Management?). Comex apparently doesn't own a Wii(?).

Anyway, until there are hacks for your "BRICK" (well not a brick - but to me it's close as - lol) you will have to make do with the sh*t Nintendo have to offer (for now - not for too long).

Someone on the scene to look for is Waninkoko, because his work is like gold.

did you sort out your softmodding trouble?

You can most definitely get your Wii in for service with Nintendo despite softmodding as I did so after semi-bricking my Wii with AnyRegionChanger (ran it through Twilight Hack rather than HBC and didn't realise how it worked -- d'oh!).

Apparently Nintendo are now adding a surcharge to any service on soft-modded machines however, so expect to pay a premium for any repairs if you go down this road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sean.aaron View Post
    Apparently Nintendo are now adding a surcharge to any service on soft-modded machines however, so expect to pay a premium for any repairs if you go down this road.
    Any soft-mod console that Nintendo fix, they will surely remove anything homebrew related and do their best to prevent further homebrew usage (I wouldn't put it past them)... One reason why my console will never go to Nintendo for repairs, I would happily just buy another one or repair it myself (easy with the internet know-hows).

Thread Information