Thread: Review: PSP Slim 2000 Series Component Cable

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

psp Review: PSP Slim 2000 Series Component Cable

PSP Slim 2000 Series Component Cable
    Manufacturer: DragonPlus
    Site: Buy from Goldenshop
    Price: $10.00

Overview : PSP Slim 2000 Series Component Cable allows to display videos, photos and play music as well as games on TV.

Features:
    • High quality 3rd party product.
    • Enables component AV output.
    • Extra long cable.
    • Suitable only for the new Slim Series (PSP-200X).
    • Allow to display videos, photos and play music as well as games on TV.
    • For playing games, a TV which supports progressive scan is required.

Quality/Usability : DragonPlus has entered the PSP Slim scene with their own Component Cable. DragonPlus is well-known for their 3rd party peripheral in the videogame industry.

Like majority of DragonPlus products, the quality of the cables are sturdy. The biggest complaint about the PSP's video-out feature is that in order to play games, you'll need a TV that has progressive scan. If you dont have a progressive scan compatible TV, you'll be left with only looking at videos and photos.

Once you have selected the PSP's output setting, the image displayed on the TV does not fill it completely but is bigger than we expected. On my 32-inch LCD, it measured approximately 22-inches. This seems to be how the PSP outputs as another PSP Slim component cable that was reviewed also has the same result.

Images were a little washed out compared to the screen on the PSP screen but the images were still viewable and clear. There were jaggies but this is expected since you're taking a small image and stretching it to fit the screen.

Conclusion : Overall, the PSP Slim 2000 Series Component Cable worked well. There wasnt any big complaints except for the minor washed out colors and the noticeable jaggies was expected since you're scaling up an image. For $10.00, the price was very reasonable.

There is also a video showing the XCM 1080p VGA Box allowing you to hook up the PSP Slim component cable and be able to play on a VGA monitor. You can read the news here and our full review on the XCM 1080p VGA box here.

Images via comments
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Changing your contrast and brightness would greatly affect the colours…

What resolution is your TV?

Yes, you can change the contrast and brightness and that can affect the colors for better or worse but the settings I have on my HDTV has been calibrated to my likings for both HDTV viewing and gaming.

Review is based on plug and play. No one wants to fiddle with the settings on their TVs that is already set to their likings on HDTV viewing/gaming.

… my TV has separate settings for each input, and between SD digital signal, SKY HD and my PS3 the settings vary greatly and are vastly different to the default settings. All input methods and devices are completely different, no universal setting will ever be optimal.

i also asked about resolution because my HDTV is 1080p, so i wonder if the image will be pixel for pixel or there is any scaling on the PSPs part because Tv zoom settings will only help 272p a little.

so this wont work on the old psp i have the first one that came out iam running 1.5 and 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by yourpuertoricanpapi View Post
    so this wont work on the old psp i have the first one that came out iam running 1.5 and 3.2
    Unfortunately TV-out will only work on the new PSP-2000 [slim] model.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    Unfortunately TV-out will only work on the new PSP-2000 [slim] model.
    That's what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    … my TV has separate settings for each input, and between SD digital signal, SKY HD and my PS3 the settings vary greatly and are vastly different to the default settings. All input methods and devices are completely different, no universal setting will ever be optimal.

i also asked about resolution because my HDTV is 1080p, so i wonder if the image will be pixel for pixel or there is any scaling on the PSPs part because Tv zoom settings will only help 272p a little.
    My HDTV is 720p and my Dell monitor is 1080p. My TV also has different inputs and each has its own settings. But none come close to what the PSP screen displays.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourpuertoricanpapi View Post
    The old PSP does not have TV OUT unless Sony or someone releases a cheap affordable mod/device that allows TV OUT, you're out of luck. Firmware versions have nothing to do with it. Its the hardware.

Thread Information