Thread: PS3 an openining already ?

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

Default PS3 an openining already ?

Not exactly PSP related but interesting none the less.

Dump PS3 Blu-Ray images to ISO structure via Linux install

The opportunity to run Linux on the PS3 seems to be presenting hackers with a route to attack. It is possible to dump PS3 Blu-Ray imaes to ISO files via a Linux install. If you have a 60GB HDD PS3, you may dump images directly via the following command 'dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/imagename.img'. That said, the file structure of PS3 games is said to be similar of those on the PSP.

reading a disk in linux is easy, but getting the ps3 to play that image with it's real OS will be very hard I bet.

Sony have been fighting a running battle with the PSP scene since day one. I bet they really don't want a repeat of that. Letting linux be installed lets homebrewers have their fun. I find it hard to believe sony didn't know that dumping the contents of the blu-ray was possible. I bet they know, but are confident enough that the PS3's own OS can't be made to run the copy.

I will no doubt be eating my words given a few weeks/months

such news isnt to be shared on dcemu!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-b View Post
    reading a disk in linux is easy, but getting the ps3 to play that image with it's real OS will be very hard I bet.

Sony have been fighting a running battle with the PSP scene since day one. I bet they really don't want a repeat of that. Letting linux be installed lets homebrewers have their fun. I find it hard to believe sony didn't know that dumping the contents of the blu-ray was possible. I bet they know, but are confident enough that the PS3's own OS can't be made to run the copy.

I will no doubt be eating my words given a few weeks/months

I think it would be easier since they have a functional and interactive OS to work with and they don't have to modify the system in order to do it.

It would be absolutely devestating news if people found out how to play PS3 backups this early on. All Sony has to do is find out how to stop it and release a quick update. This time they are smart enough to require an update for online play. Sony just has to hold people off for a few months and then they're in the clear. If people play ISO's on PS3 soon it will be very costly and it would just be terrible news.

i would love to see it, despite loving the psp, i hate sonys $#@!ty updates and would love to see this criple them

DCEmu Newbie

when i dump a blu-ray disc, does the linux partition have to be bigger than the ps3 partition? cause right now, my ps3 partition is bigger and linux only has 1gb of memory. and also can i still dump blu-rays under 1.32 firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by whitejimihendrix View Post
    alright well i am pretty new at this. i got a 60 GB PS3 for xmas. i was talking 2 1 of my friends and he said he thought u culd just download games straight onto the hard drive but im pretty sure you hav 2 hav a mod chip and i dont think they hav those for ps3 yet. anyways i was reading about all this stuff with linux and all that can sum 1 just explain 2 me all this stuff about the ps3 so i understand it more? thanks in advance.
    No one will do that for you. There's a lot to know about it. Do some research on the internet. It's not that hard.

Thread Information