Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FAQ - What Do I Need for Homebrew on the DS

Default FAQ - What Do I Need for Homebrew on the DS

To start playing homebrew on your Nintendo DS you need two things. A flashcart with memory to store the games and apps and a Passme type device.

First I'll start with the adaptors.

You can get Flashcarts and Adaptors.

The M3 is an adaptor. You can get 3 versions it the sd, mini sd and compact flash.
    Supercard is the same as the M3

then there are flashcarts with their own built in memory

G6 is by the makers of the m3 but with built in memory that is faster but measured in Gigabits (gigaybyte divided by 8) so storage is less.

4Gbits = 512mb

In order of quality and compatiblity with homebrew/roms in my opinion.

Joint 1 & 2) G6/M3 - BEST but they come at a price and, Supercard - Same as the M3 but GBA compatibility isn't quite as good. I would say NDS compatiblity is slightly better.

3) EZ4Flash and other flashcarts - Compatibility is poorer and I would not recommend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the passme devices. These redirect the processors of the NDS to the flashcarts mentioned above so you can play backup roms and homebrew.

There is Datel's Max Media Launcher, Passcard, Passkey and probably some others but they are the main ones.

In order again....

1) Passcard 3 - doesn't stick out and works great even with sleep mode

2) Max Media Launcher - No Sleep Mode with this device

3) Passkey 2 - Requires NDS Game, would only recommend if you are going to flash your DS although if you are new to DS homebrew etc. I wouldn't because you risk bricking you shiny new games console.

4) Others - The EZ4flash passcard type device is designed for their flashcart. Other passme devices won't work with the EZ4flash so you need theirs. Others are available with built in memory but only store 1 game, can't remember the name

--------------------------------------------------------------

To Run Homebrew you will need 1 of each type of device mentioned above. I recommend the M3 or Supercard or G6 bundled with a Passcard 3.

If you get the M3 or Supercard you will need to buy flash memory as well but apart from that this is all you will need to start homebrew on your DS.

For people looking to store a few games and homebrew the G6 will suffice but if you're looking to store mp3s and videos I recommend going for the M3 with external memory. You can now get SD cards of up to 4gb in size.

------------------------------------------------------------

DATEL MAX MEDIA PLAYER / DOCK

I have seen so many of these posts. The Datel Max Media Player or Dock can only be used for homebrew and you will NOT be able to play backup DS or GBA roms using this device. For media and homebrew though this is a worthy alternative to the M3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Buy?

There are many sites but I'll only list the sites I've used.

www.SupercardStore.com - The best store I've ever used for UK buyers looking for a Supercard. Super fast next day delivery, great prices and support emails are usually answered the same day, I've bought a few times from here and I've had excellent service every time.

www.ubid.com/ - If in the UK you will have to order from the US of Chinese Site as the UK site doesn't stock any Backup Devlopment tools for the DS. Pricey postage on US site.

www.winsunx.com - Cheap Prices and High Postage, I would probably use this site over divineo but they only accept Paypal, Western Union and Bank Transfer so you can't pay by credit card without a paypal account. Be warned about pre-ordering though as they have lied to me about shipping dates.

www.codejunkies.com - This is Datel's shop, all Datel products can be bought here. Fast delivery also.

www.lik-sang.co.uk - These do not sell homebrew and backup devices but are good for most other import gaming goods.

http://shop.01media.com/en/ - Overpriced in my opinion but a reliable shop in Europe

-----------------------------------------------------------

That should be all you need to know if you have any questions don'y hesitate to ask.

Mazza

edit 24/06/06 - Supercard Mini SD has built in battery which I don't think the regular Supercard SD does - Go for the Mini version if buying a supercard.

Mazza, thanks for finally putting up a good FAQ. This forum has gone on way too long without one. Kudos to you, man.

I have about $150, can i find any of these things in the store? I wanna get the max media launcher, i might not be able to get the m3/g6 but i might get the supercard. How much would that run?

Exclamation Am I...

Screwed. I bought the max media dock & the max media player that goes into the ds slot.

DCEmu Newbie

I thought it was the emulator used that causes compatabliliy issues for roms. I guess for DS roms there is no emulation, but how would the type of flash cart used affect comatability of which DS roms can run?

I just found out how to make ds roms work on my ds, now my max media dock is good.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by badam
    I just found out how to make ds roms work on my ds, now my max media dock is good.
    Would you mind posting some links to any threads that helped you do this? It looks to me like Max Overload 1.2 is the only way to get this working on the Max Media Dock. Is that how you did it? I just bought one myself. Thanks!

is modchipman.com also a good store? I cant quite find a store that has the m3 bundle(m3 comes with a memory card and passcard 3)

I'm new to the DS homebrew scene and I searched everywhere but didnt find an answer...Can you play games multiplayer on wifi for NDS backup/rom games? What about non-internet multiplayer or multiplay from a single backup game (similar to multiplay on 1 game card)?

I was told somewhere that Homebrew isn't playable on the Red DS's? Is this true or was that before Passkey3?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information