Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gecko Region Free - Region Free Gaming on Wii Via Homebrew App

Blog Entries

Rev Gecko Region Free - Region Free Gaming on Wii Via Homebrew App

Ok this has to be one of the biggest releases yet for the Homebrew scene, Nuke has released a Region Free Loader for your Commercial Wii Games, so now you dont need a freeloader or anything just this, in a nutshell this is the Holy Grail of Wii Homebrew releases

Heres the readme:

Gecko Region Free (v1.0) (c) NUke

Instructions:

Load boot.elf from Chain Loader. Insert any Wii Game and press reset. Enjoy your region free gaming.

Cool Additional Bonus (optional)

If you own a USB Gecko it will install a remote debugger and screenshot engine into memory and will hook. This means you can load Gecko Tool version included and grab screen shots and use the remote debugger in any Wii game. This is all done on the fly and silently, and has no effect on none USB Gecko users.

Technical Gargon:

Gecko Region Free was created with the homebrew libogc library. No certs, Tmd, Tik, Keys or other Nintendo copyright material were used or attached in the file, making it a pure homebrew release. No Datel code was used either, so please don't call this a clone etc as this and Freeloader work in completely different ways.

The decryption is done by the hardware, not in software and the correct IOS version of the game booting is selected and used. This is done by reading the information off the DVD using the low level read commands and then passed back to the starlet.

My own apploader was written, and will completely ignore the update partition, no patching is done except a region flag which is required.

This of course only works with Wii games.

Disclaimer:

Please note I take 'no' responsibility for the use of this software, If a game doesn't work you can report this in the USB Gecko forums, and I will try to fix it for the next release. It has worked on all games i've tried however I can not afford to buy all games so will need beta testers

Big Greets to the following people:

Xt5, Shagkur, Y.S, Bushing, Costis, Dhewg, Pinchy, Segher, TMBinc, brakken and tehskeen.com and all Gecko beta testers!

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

via brakken

Blog Entries

the wii scene just keeps getting better

this is awesome. im going to buy mario kart right now.

So it's more easy than using a freeloader?

It's probably harder, but my guess is that this will still work after IOS37. They're fixing the Freeloader disc, not the loading of homebrew.

Blog Entries

i must say that theres some damn impressive codersworking on the Wii Scene

DCEmu Newbie

Can you use the TP hack to load this?

i agree

Unfortunately it's a no-go from me. My PAL Wii fails to boot the NTSC version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl via this software. It recognises the disc and then promptly presents me with a black screen. I usually use 480p but I've tried all of the other video modes just in case, still no luck. I'll have to stick with my Freeloader for the time being.

If Nuke is reading this; keep up the great work it's much appreciated! All us hard done by Europeans could do with a homebrew hero to help us with our region woes.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicLiver View Post
    Unfortunately it's a no-go from me. My PAL Wii fails to boot the NTSC version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl via this software. It recognises the disc and then promptly presents me with a black screen. I usually use 480p but I've tried all of the other video modes just in case, still no luck. I'll have to stick with my Freeloader for the time being.

If Nuke is reading this; keep up the great work it's much appreciated! All us hard done by Europeans could do with a homebrew hero to help us with our region woes.
    too bad, SSBB is the only NTSC game i own (i have a PAL wii) crap.. it gets quite annoying to insert freeloader first and then SSBB, but this could be good if he will make an update where it supports DL-games..
    this app is surely a break-through in the scene and i hope more is coming..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information