Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2GB MS Pro Duo Shootout - Sony vs. Sandisk

DCEmu Newbie

Post 2GB MS Pro Duo Shootout - Sony vs. Sandisk

Well, in the past week I've had both the Sony and Sandisk 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo cards in my possession and I've benchmarked both of them alongside a 512mb Sandisk stick.

I think the results below speak for themselves:

The 2GB Sony card also took noticeably longer to format in the PSP as well as longer to write savegame data.

Also worth mentioning is that the Sandisk 2GB card has a huge 40MB more formatted capacity than the 2GB Sony.

Needless to say I've now kept the Sandisk 2GB stick and sold the Sony one.

I hope this little 'guide' has been of some use to anyone considering which 2GB memory stick to buy.

- Odie

DCEmu Newbie

How much are Sandisks?

DCEmu Newbie

They're slightly more than the 2GB Sony cards just now in the UK, I purchased mine from an Amazon.co.uk Marketplace seller for just under 150 including next day delivery. Well worth the extra ~15 pounds over the Sony in my opinion. Also be aware that many of the Sony 2GB cards being sold on ebay do not come with the full sized MS adaptor even though the sellers may have copied and pasted incorrect item descriptions which say it is included.

Before anyone tries to state the obvious, yes I know that two 1GB sticks would have cost significantly less money, but I think not having to swap sticks and split videos and/or files just to get them to fit makes up for the price premium of getting a single 2GB stick.

England - don't forget we invented the English language!

I still think I will wait a bit longer till either the prices reduce or a decent hard drive is develloped.

When you get 2 Sony 1GB's for 30 bucks a pop like I did (brand new and in the box too) you fail to care as much. It IS very useful. But the fact that it is less than more than half the price of an average 1gb memory stick sold for sandisk you love yourself. Sandisk around 130-140 bucks for a 1gb half of that is 65 dollars or 70 . . .my deal was a steal.

Why do you even need a 2GB memory card? I have a SanDisk 512mb card and I have a ton of stuff on it, Lua player, Megadrive, and NesterJ, plus a ton of games and I have 400mb still free. Just curious why you want such a big memory stick.

DCEmu Newbie

Mostly for the game iSOs that are more or less around the 300mb ballpark. I mean, there are some games which are 600mb and those are must-haves. besides, having a couple of videos along with your isos is neat.

by the way yourstillwithme, where did you get those sticks for 30$?

DCEmu Newbie

I tend to take my PSP on trips and with a 2GB card I can fit many hours of video on without having to sacrifice quality. That and the fact that I have a spare battery means that I can have up to about 10 hours of video and some gaming time when I'm away without the charger.

wakeuphater-Yeah, agreed man. I dont see a huge use for the 2GB memory stick. However if your going away for a week or something its VERY NICE to have and not everyone has access to a pc fast and easily. I however do not see a huge use for it. A 1GB does it for me. It just depends on what you prefer and what your willing to spend

im spent

DCEmu Rookie

Is it in the formatting or something that gives the Sandisk more room? I remember the Sony 1gig gave 960 or so megs after formatting while the Sandisk gave 949 megs. Glad to see Sandisk being on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information