Thread: Review: Ninjapass Evolution X9 SLOT-1

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: Ninjapass Evolution X9 SLOT-1

Ninjapass Evolution X9 SLOT-1
    Manufacturer: Ninjapass
    Site: Buy from DealExtreme / Buy from DealExtreme (1GB) / Buy from DealExtreme (1GB) / Buy from DealExtreme (2GB) / Buy from DealExtreme (1GB) / Buy from DealExtreme (2GB)
    Price: $55.00

Overview : The X9TF is the real revolutionary of the DS Cartridge, support Multi Language, compatible with Homebrew and multi media function on the all DS and DS Lite (via DLDI). Duo to the X9 Smart Loader will automatically detect gamesave type and automatically create the gamesave file (support 4k, 64k, 512k EEPROM, 2M and 4M Flash). support pokemon pearl/diamond and use dsrom.lst or NOT.

Offering a SINGLE unified solution which allows you to do the unthinkable and push the limits of DS console. The Ninjapass X9 does NOT require the use of a passcard or any unsightly GBA cart, just one intelligently designed piece of kit, the same size as an ordinary DS cart, giving an unrivalled experience to any DS enthusiast.

Same size as original DS cartridge, Never stick out of the DS & DS Lite, Supports the ultra large capacity memory and Intuitively designed custom operating system which is fully upgradeable. Directly Drag‘n drop all your favourite media and homebrew into the TF (MicroSD) card. With minimal effort as the NINJAPASS X9 will be instantly recognized by your console. Support OS skinnable (Touchscreen or button operation), So you can DIY your own style interface. Built in onboard EEPROM and Flash memory chip, real save method or patch save method support.

Features :
    • New generation storage device (no booting tool required)
    • The same size as an original DS cart
    • Uses MicroSD card, FAT16
    • Supports MicroSD speed Adjustment
    • Supports movie/MP3/eBook/Comic Book and photo on the DS via homebrew(by DLDI)
    • Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
    • Built in Passcard function
    • Automatically detect the save type & automatic generate saver file
    • Compatible all gamesave type (4k, 64k, 512k EEPROM, 2M and 4M Flash)
    • Save to onboard chip or MicroSD card, real save method or patch save method
    • Supports 99.99% homebrew. (via DLDI)
    • User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
    • Support WiFi, DS rumble pack & DS browser
    • Supports Multi Language, NO language bias price
    • Support User Skin DIY, Adjust the menu.txt to change the Language and OS font color
    • Supports the Soft Reset* (release soon)
    • Built in Action Replay function* (release soon)
    • Built in WiFi Transfer function* (release soon)

Quality/Usability : Ninjapass Evolution X9 comes includes a SD/MMC USB card reader as well as the X9 in a black casing. The Ninjapass Team also included 2 additional empty casings (clear and pink) as well as 2 Ninjapass stickers. These stickers are to be placed on any of the casings to cover the exposed PCB board. No instructions or CD was included but is not needed as you can view them on their website. The quality of the cartridge is well built and the same size as the actual DS game cartridge from Nintendo and other Slot-1 cartridges on the market.

Setting up the X9 can be a bit troublesome and requires some tinkering in order to get things running. First, you will have to read their manual. It will explain what files are needed and copied over to the microSD card in order for the X9 to work. You can download the latest files here.

The Ninjapass Team has improved the look of the GUI dramatically. It looks alot better. The top screen shows Ninjapass' logo and underneath the logo shows the game logo and save type. At the very top above the logo shows the date, time and temperature.

The bottom screen shows the list of games loaded on the microSD. Not only does it shows your games, but also folders for your homebrew, DSOrganize and whatever folders you have on the microSD.

Once you have chosen your game, you are given an option of 1: Turbo, 2: Fast, 3: Medium, 4: Slow. Its best to choose #3: Medium. If you have a high speed card, you can choose either #1 or #2.

The X9 allows you to skin the GUI. You can change the skin by:

Only replace the X9 skin (BMP file need) in the "TFSYSTEM" folder

menu.txt - font colors and Language of the OS menu
    barh.bmp - 256*16 pixels (256bit)
    btm1.bmp - 256*192 pixels (24bit)
    btm2.bmp - 256*192 pixels (24bit)
    option.bmp - 256*192 pixels (24bit)
    prompt.bmp - 256*192 pixels (24bit)
    top.bmp - 256*192 pixels (24bit)

Note:
    Do not change the bmp file's name and touch screen area.
    As for game compatibility, I didnt have any problems with any of the games. You can take a look at the Wiki compatibility list here. But its best to get a very good highspeed card to avoid any problems with loading of games.

The compatibility for homebrew is very good. The X9 has DLDI support which lets you run all the latest homebew with full DLDI support.

Conclusion : Overall, the Ninjapass Evolution X9 works great but falls short in some areas. There is no soft reset as well as cheat system. Swapping of the casings can be annoying as you will have to be very careful not to break the case, lose any of the pieces and put it all back together. Although its not really a big problem, it would of been nice if the list of games was more organized. You can purchase a 1GB for as low as $10! To find the best deals, visit our Online/Store Deals.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; February 26th, 2008 at 15:58.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

im pretty sure itll get soft reset and a cheat system later on like all the other slot 1 devices.

im wondering about that soon to be built in wifi transfer system.

Ninjapass is pretty crap as far as i know.

DCEmu Legend

I really want one of these slot one carts. There is this, DS Xtreme, and M3 Simply.

If the M3 simply can use the 4GB MicroSD cards I'll probably get that. Its ashame the DS Xtreme does not allow the option of using a memory stick.

If anyone has been into DS homebrew for a while and has tried several of these sort of products, could you kindly recommend the best one currently on the market?

Thanks!

I read a review of the NinjaPass from somewhere that said the reviewer only got maybe 2 out twenty odd games to work.

said the rest had glitches and errors, but maybe the reviewer didn't have the latest FW or a decent enough TF/microSD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    I really want one of these slot one carts. There is this, DS Xtreme, and M3 Simply.

If the M3 simply can use the 4GB MicroSD cards I'll probably get that. Its ashame the DS Xtreme does not allow the option of using a memory stick.

If anyone has been into DS homebrew for a while and has tried several of these sort of products, could you kindly recommend the best one currently on the market?

Thanks!
    Personally, I use the M3 Simply for all my slot-1 needs, but there is also the CycloDS and SuperCard DS-ONE which are all slot-1 passcards with microSD support.

I would recommend either the M3 Simply or the R4-revolution which are essentially the same hardware. (bith manufactured by R4 IIRC).

you may also want to consider if you want GBA compatibility because ATM gba software can only be run from Slot-2.

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by logicbomb.de View Post
    I read a review of the NinjaPass from somewhere that said the reviewer only got maybe 2 out twenty odd games to work.

said the rest had glitches and errors, but maybe the reviewer didn't have the latest FW or a decent enough TF/microSD card.

Personally, I use the M3 Simply for all my slot-1 needs, but there is also the CycloDS and SuperCard DS-ONE which are all slot-1 passcards with microSD support.

I would recommend either the M3 Simply or the R4-revolution which are essentially the same hardware. (bith manufactured by R4 IIRC).

you may also want to consider if you want GBA compatibility because ATM gba software can only be run from Slot-2.
    These days, all these Slot-1 devices are pretty much the same when it comes to compatibility and functions. There might be a couple that has a slightly better compatibility when it comes to certain games. Yea, there might be one or two that might stand out but other than that, its all the same when you look at things. Packaging, GUI, labels are different.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Coder

I think the ninjapass is better than what it seems

I love my ninjapass tf card they just released the action replay loader 1.2 and are in the process of making a new gui things are going smoothly.

DCEmu Coder

I am Jester of their forums.

DCEmu Newbie

Ok please help with this.
    I have a X9 ninjapass Slot - 1 and a GBA Card (Rumble Pack).
    I need help with fixing the browser.
    I've downloaded the EZ 3_1 bla bla tools from ninjapass.
    I'm not sure that they are full because almost none of them homebrew don't work 100%.
    Could you give me a link and a "how to do it" file.
    I must say I'm a total noob with this...

Thread Information