Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony Disagree On Demos For Downloadable Games

Blog Entries

General games Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony Disagree On Demos For Downloadable Games

Over the last few weeks I've been asking top people at Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony about game demos for the downloadable games offered via Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare and PlayStation Network.

I can't get the same answer twice.
    Microsoft - yes, demos are a must
    Nintendo -- no, demos are not required
    Sony - sometimes demos are good, sometimes bad.

Microsoft's Jeremy Wacksman, Global Marketing Manager, Xbox Live
    "[Trial demos for XBLA games] came from the casual games industry. The thing is that Arcade has an identity. It is about pick-up-and-play games. The trial experience helps drive that pick-up-and-play nature. You have to think about how to get consumers to taste it. And the other thing is that it provides a great marketing tool. We've talked to consumers, and trial is one of the big drivers of purchase intent. So it gets smaller-budget games that doesn't have a big marketing campaign- this is their marketing. We're going to do a great job of getting the trial into people's hands, and then the game can help sell itself."

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...oadable-games/

i agree with microsoft demos are a must i would never buy the game if i didn't try it first the only way i would is if the game was known and thats what nintendo depends on like super smash brothers brawl you don't need a demo for that yet you can go to gamestop and play a bit yea you can have your demo but its what only 1 wii game in gamestop to test and its the most popular one sony and nintendo are blind on demos keep up the good work microsoft:thumbup:

demos is a must for me too, but i almost never buy a game, if it's on PC then you can guess what i'm doing, if it's on xbox, then i'll do the same, but on my wii..
    i actually bought super mario galaxy haha, that's because i like Nintendo more than M$ and sony together, actually, on my PSX i only have the originals that i got on the Xmas along with the console, which i then got chipped XD and got a $#@!load of games that bought.. NOT! .. but not as many as i have on my xbox, it's currently the most illegal thing i have in my home :P
    and on my ds, if you find anything legal other than homebrew on it, then i will personally fly down to you and give you everything that you want and then some

anyways i dont want to "get" a new game before i read a review or play the demo, but SMG i knew was awesome cus all the video reviews on youtube and then it got the best game released 2007, even better than halo3, then i knew i gotta have a wii and SMG

..but one thing is for sure, homebrew is by far alot better than commercial games imo, i've played homebrew games alot more on my consoles than the commercial games, cus the homebrewers listen to each other, and we give each other what we want instead of just make a game that has alot of.. let's say minigames, you don't actually play and like all of them, so you paid for something that you didn't want..
    Last edited by ____anders____; March 26th, 2008 at 23:15.

it's not the concept of "demo" that's right or wrong, it's the fact that so many are so poor. they work so well for XBLA's pick up and play offerings, but so many more complicated games just throw you in the middle of confusing action or bad gameplay to wow you with shiny graphics enough to encourage you to purchase the full game i suppose.

at least these days i can press a button and instantly exit any horrid piece of software rather than having to physically get off my seat and press the reset button on the console - oh, how i don't miss magazine demo disks...

I prefer Sonys point of view,

I am so glad I got to play a demo of Stranglehold and find it wasn't what I wanted after all before shelling out for it.

But I DON't want to play a demo of GTA IV, it would ruin the experience, so 50/50 on the concept of demo's is good.

I am so jealous of Microsofts offering of 4 player split-screen Ultimate DOOM though

DCEmu Rookie

Meh, Nintendo could put demos on the Brawl disc, why don't they do that for all downloaded games? All they're doing is putting a (really short) timer on the games, it wouldn't be that hard for them to do...

Ha! Nintendo could care less about demos. They don't need to do any of that stuff, because everything sells it's self. Nintendo could not do commercials, ads, or any other form of advertisement and they'd still be on top of the gaming industry.

i find that hard to believe because they use thier commercials to advertise that its a family oriented of course we as in the gamers would still buy but many many more wouldn't and that would be the family oriented side and in my opinion would hurt nintendo ALOT because i am sure thats the majority of the buyers of wii

Quote Originally Posted by Dbgtgoten View Post
    i find that hard to believe because they use thier commercials to advertise that its a family oriented of course we as in the gamers would still buy but many many more wouldn't and that would be the family oriented side and in my opinion would hurt nintendo ALOT because i am sure thats the majority of the buyers of wii
    You're not understanding my point.

Nintendo really doesn't need to advertise. Everyone knows how good or how great their stuff is. (not 3rd party stuff)

DEMOS ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! I love how abundant demos are on XBOX Live, and demos have been around for nearly every PC game for a long time. The only reason to not release a demo is to steal someone's money by charging for a game that ends up being really crappy. In pretty much every purchase I've made, I got some kind of sample first. I no longer buy a game before playing it a good deal enough to decide if it's actually worth purchasing. Usually I do rentals first, though some games such as games on XBOX Live Arcade or PC games don't let you rent.
    You can't naturally assume a game will be good just because it's released by Nintendo or it's a part of your favorite franchise or something. I've seen countless games that got way too much attention before their release as if they were going to be the greatest thing ever, then they get released and they're either relatively forgotten right away or they're just complete crap. Some game called "Alien Syndrome" was heavily advertised all-around for no reason at all (even on DCemu) and the topic of conversation included stupid things like "PSP has better graphics than Wii version!?" I knew as soon as I saw the game that it would be a big piece of crap but it still got more attention than most really good games, then once it came out it was of course really lame and nobody cared about it. A demo might've cleared that all up well ahead of time! I hope nobody bothered themselves to purchase it in order to find out just how bad it was.

Point is, demos are a must and only thieves wouldn't release demos whenever possible. Their games could be complete crap but they make you pay for it before finding out. Legal theft? Rhetorical question, clearly it is!
    Last edited by Broadus; March 27th, 2008 at 05:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information