Thread: [Tutorial] Recording Video (Gameplay) and Audio of your Sony PSP for Dummies

DCEmu Newbie

Default [Tutorial] Recording Video (Gameplay) and Audio of your Sony PSP for Dummies

This a tutorial on recording your PSP screen (video) and audio output on your PC, then saving as a WMV, AVI, MOV whatever..
    I did find one of these tutorials earlier, but damn was it hard to understand! Anyway, this is the “English” way of telling it, I’ve been doing this for almost a year now, and its quite easy once you get the hang of it.
    Note: all pictures are in spoilers, this is to save space.

Firstly you will need the following items:
    A PSP over 3.40 OE and a PC that is compatible with Remotejoy (XP or Vista, this might work on Mac’s, I have no idea)

3.5mm to 3.5mm jack audio lead (Maplin, Ebay etc). Looks like this:
    Spoiler!

OR, for advanced computers, if you have a pc that takes in phono leads (Red and White leads that normally go in your TV) (also Maplin, Ebay, even the Poundshop or 99c store do these) (Name: 3.5mm jack to twin phono lead) They look like this:
    Spoiler!

And you will need a PSP USB cable (the USB cable you normally use to send stuff to your PSP), Just incase you don’t know what it looks like, here:
    Spoiler!

OK that’s the hardware, much harder to get than the software, which is:
    1. Remotejoy (For getting your Video on the screen, tutorials can be found on this on google, I’m not going to bother telling you how to make this work, its fairly simple)
    2 . Your favourite screen recorder (Things like Camstasia Studio are the best, but Hyperonics Hypercam is also quite good. These do cost money, but you could get the free trial just to check this out, just google it.)

At last resort, and if you find it too hard to actually get these, you can use freeware CamStudio, which you can get here:
    http://camstudio.org/

OK, all the pieces aside ill take you on to the tutorial:

Firstly make sure you are 100% sure you know how to get Remotejoy working to show your PSP video on your PC screen, and that you have successfully installed a screen recorder, Hypercam is pretty straightforward to use, other than the fact you have to tick the box that says “Record sound” which some noobs end up having trouble with, however for a Dummy (Just so you know, I am also one =P) Camtasia Studio is a little harder (AND WAY BETTER!), so this tutorial will go over this program.

OK, now we’ll start, the first hardware you connect is your 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack or twin phono leads to your PC,
    For the 3.5mm to 3.5mm, connect one end (Doubt it really matters which end it is, unless on yours it says “In” and “Out” on either jack) to the PSP’s headphone port, underneath the PSP, and the other end to the microphone port on your PC, you can check if this is functioning by playing music of your PSP, or playing a game that has music (Which is all of them) and using your sound recorder which is in START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>ENTERTAINMENT>SOUND RECORDER to record music, then play it back to yourself.
    Spoiler!

For the twin phono lead, connect the 3.5mm jack to your PSP headphone port, and the other to your PC’s twin phono input (Most “Expensive” computers have these, or Sony Vaio’s that come with docking stations) (Note: These connect to your pc tower, NOT to your monitor, if your not sure what this means, go for the 3.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack), Again, you can check if this is functioning using the method for the 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead.

Great! You’ve successfully got the audio running to the PC, use Remotejoy to use the video aswell, If you have been doing this for a while now, take a break! Get some tea, biscuits, sweets , play a game? Whatever... then carry on with the rest of this tutorial.

OK now you have the audio and video successfully connected to the PC, now lets get to recording, Hypercam users can stop here, it’s pretty much straightforward for you! If you still need help however, find a Hypercam tutorial, but I find it hard to believe you’ll need one.
    Camtasia Studio users, should open up Camtasia recorder like so:
    Spoiler!

Then make sure your “Microphone” box is ticked, and “Camera” is not
    Spoiler!

Then open up “Audio Settings” and depending whether you have connected through 3.5mm to 3.5mm or phono, select microphone or line in
    3.5mm to 3.5mm jack: Microphone
    3.5mm to twin phono: Line in
    Spoiler!

However this may change on certain PCs, just play around with it until you get it working.

Next open up Remotejoy as you would, don’t connect the PSP yet, we’ll do that later.
    Then click “Select area to record” on Camtasia, and click the Remotejoy window like so (one click, don’t drag the cursor while you do this)
    Spoiler!

Now plug in your PSP with your game running, so you have something that looks like this:
    Spoiler!

I doubt you’d have ratchet and clank running like me, you’ll have the game your playing on there.
    Next, you should press record, and record as much as you need for your video, after you’ve finished recording, press F10 and your video will start playing back to you like this:
    Spoiler!

Click “save” and save it somewhere convenient, it’ll be saved as a *.camrec file, don’t worry about this, I’ll teach you how to convert.
    After you have saved, you should get “Post-Save Options” up. Click on “Produce my video in a shareable format” then press OK.
    Spoiler!

The production wizard will come up, click “Custom production settings” then “Next >”
    Spoiler!

Select your output format, I recommend WMV or AVI, but it’s up to you.
    Spoiler!

Now all you have to do is keep pressing next, if you understand the settings then fiddle with them, if not just carry on until you get to the screen that shows the output file and folder, pick where you want it to be saved, and your done! Press finish to make your video, then admire it for as long as you like.

Troubleshooting: Check your volumes of your PC! This is a very common problem, you can check this by using START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>ENTERTAINMENT>VOLUME CONTROL
    Also check input of your volume settings, by going on Options>Properties>(Click “recording” button)>OK
    Make sure nothing is muted.

Great your done! Just so you know I took the software pictures myself, and the other pictures are from eBay, Maplin or PC World. Please give feedback, and tell me if I’ve got something wrong. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jitesh; April 1st, 2008 at 21:05.

the PSP usb cord has no firewire in it what so ever
    its USB A (the normal big end) and USB B (the little end)

DCEmu Newbie

My bad.. just fixed it!

DCEmu Newbie

What actual recorder for the laptop do you recommend taking account of the price and quality?

Thread Information