Thread: SNES modded into handheld by Ben Heck forum member

Blog Entries

GBA SNES modded into handheld by Ben Heck forum member

Sure, you've seen the portable wooden SNES, but if you've been looking for something with more of that fresh-off-the-showroom-floor sheen, maybe you should check into this Ben Heck-forum user's design. Using a modified Polycase, dual lithium-ion batteries, a 5-inch Zenith LCD, and a whole bunch of Super Nintendo, the modder created what could easily be mistaken for a bona-fide production model. Sure, the back looks a tad bit messy, but "Life of Brian" (the SNES fan in question) has managed to squeeze in a second controller port and A/V outs -- no small feat.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/02/s...-forum-member/

Very nice! Kind of reminds me of my Sega Game Gear.

DCEmu Pro

very cool looking. can i have one? oh wait... i have an emulator... much less trouble than making one of those. lol

DCEmu Rookie

more like a nomad, than a game gear

Good size, considering the size of the cartridges. Great mod

Mad cool, I think this is a few months old though.

I've been looking at these things since 2005. I tried to make one then, but I ended up selling the SNES motherboard as I couldn't work on the project anymore. Plus the idea of trashing a SNES was a bit painful to me.

So now, I'm studying C++ and trying to learn as much about Linux as I can, because I'm going to take college courses in Computer Science and CP Engineering, in effort to make a modular pocket PC, running Linux and hopefully x86 compatible.

I'm aiming to get something like a 1GHz processor, 128MB or greater of RAM, integrated graphics, stereo sound and all that other jazz (USB and whatnot) onto a single motherboard the size of a SNES cart. It won't have any type of interface or power itself, you'd need to hook in a screen, power supply, and input devices. It would be handy for applications like an in-car entertainment PC, or a custom handheld like I've thought of.

Now imagine that cartridge-PC, plugged into a dock that looks like that SNES handheld. The dock itself is just a plastic shell storing batteries, with an LCD screen, and a hacked-up USB controller.

All that might sound a little far-fetched and expensive now, but with the shrinking power consumption, size, and price of today's components, it'll be possible when/if I finish the courses 4-5 years from now. I really want to have StarFox in my pocket, without using a real SNES, and because none of the handhelds really work for me. The DS can't emulate super FX games, the PSP doesn't have the right screen, and anything else just isn't shaped right.

</teenage ambition>

DCEmu Newbie

OMG I wish i could do that..

I just need to understand how 2... -_-

forget that I rather Pay someone to do that for me anyone know if theres a website that could do that 4 me???

...I rather Pay someone to do that for me anyone know if theres a website that could do that 4 me???
    You can ask members of the benheck.com forums about it, I'm sure somebody would do it for some coin.

That is truly nice. I remember that game to for SNES, it was amazing back then!

Thread Information