Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey: PSP Preferred by Japanese Men, DS Lite by Women

Blog Entries

General games Survey: PSP Preferred by Japanese Men, DS Lite by Women

Net Asia Co Ltd has announced results of its survey on the use of portable game consoles. The company conducted the Internet survey in Japan using mobile phones and received responses from 401 mobile phone users ranging from the age of 15 to 29.

Asked what portable game console they currently use the most, most male respondents (42.0%) cited Sony Computer Entertainment Inc's (SCE) "PlayStation Portable (PSP)" (excluding responses of "No specific console"). Second most cited (30.3%) was Nintendo Co Ltd's "Nintendo DS Lite," followed by the same Nintendo's "Nintendo DS" (16.8%).

Meanwhile, results were completely different with female respondents. Most respondents named the Nintendo DS Lite (52.2%) and the Nintendo DS (27.4%). These Nintendo DS-related two models constituted roughly 80% of all responses from female samples. Female respondents who answered the PSP, which was most popular among male respondents, only accounted for less than 10%.

When asked how often they use game consoles, most responses (36.6%) said "less than 1 day a week." Of the respondents who said they use game consoles more than once a week, "almost every day," "2 to 3 days a week," "4 to 5 days a week" and "1 day a week" accounted for 24.6, 15.1, 12.5 and 11.2%, respectively.

As for how long they use the console for videogames per day, most respondents (28.9%) said "1 hour" during weekdays, followed by "less than 15 minutes" (22.4%), "2 hours" (18.1%) and "30 minutes" (16.8%). Respondents who play portable videogames for "3 hours" to "more than 5 hours" per day totaled 13.8%.

When it comes to weekends, they generally play videogames longer than during weekdays, but most respondents (21.6%) still said "1 hour" as in weekdays. Responses of "3 hours," "2 hours" and "more than 5 hours" reached 18.5, 18.1 and 10.3%, respectively.

To a question asking if there is any variation in the frequency and time of playing videogames with portable consoles compared with a year ago, most general responses (33.9%) were "decreased," whereas 22.2% of all respondents said "increased."

Moreover, when the company asked where they use portable game consoles (multiple answers allowed), the majority (81.5%) answered "my room." Limited to males, in particular, the ratio rose to 87.4%. Next most cited was "the living room in my house" (50.4%).

Based on these results, Net Asia analyzed most people use their portable game consoles at home. Other responses included "train" (14.2%), "a fiend's/acquaintance's house" (11.6%), "outside home" (10.3%) and "car" (6.5%).

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080410/150251/

PSP. It brings the bacon home.

this doesn't surprises me at all, I always thought DS was girly

Quote Originally Posted by mike_jmg View Post
    this doesn't surprises me at all, I always thought DS was girly
    Exactly wot i was thinkin', i dont think this survey was at all needed, not that hard to realize that girls/women would prefer the DS over the PSP, huh?

DCEmu Regular

DS like tampon.... :P
    Actually more like the cosmetic powder thingy that flip up & has mirror.

PSP like a... erm... projectile weapon?
    Last edited by Nocuddle; April 11th, 2008 at 17:56.

DCEmu Regular

What? This survey is a scam! PSP Slim and Lite and PSP Fat are a single option... but DS and DS Lite are two different!?

Let's sum DS + DS Lite... 30.3 + 16.8... = 47.1%... And that's more than the 42% for PSP!

Sony bought this too... They think that buying public opinion would do them any better. Nintendo ownzores you, accept this.

PSP User

nintendo are a piece of sh*t, accept this.

DCEmu Newbie

Fanboyism on either side is frowned appon, accept this.

Sony has superior hardware (spec side), but marketing is lackluster at best. What the Ds (and lite) lack in actuall hardware, they more than make up for in market tactics.

Anyway, thats not even the point. The servey is really too small a sample...larger numbers are required for this to really be valid, just my opinion.

Well you don't really need a survey to tell you that girls would prefer a DS over a PSP. PSP believe is currently lacking software but i still believe it to be far superior and more 'fun' then the DS. For some reason i just don't like those mario games!

Nomi

Beta Tester: Windows 7

DCEmu Newbie

Umm, hate to say it, but after adding up the men who prefer DS and the men who prefer DS Lite, the percentage is higher than that of the PSP... meaning that men actually prefer the DS.

Both systems are doing remarkably well, but Nintendo can't be beat. (A Nintendo fan like myself is happy about that, though )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information