Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few Questions from a XBox nOOb

Default Re: A few Questions from a XBox nOOb

There is networking for games like halo. You can get online free through tunneling with that. i dont really suggest xbox live... unless you want to pay extra for PSO (phantasy star online). Halo 2 will be live and that should be good! The only reason to buy an xbox in my oppinion is Halo, Halo 2, and hacking it. I just wish some one would create a legal dashboard replacement.

DCEmu Newbie

What, dont you need to pay an Xbox Live! subscription. How can you get online for free with Xbox? and what the hell's a dashboard replacement? i suppose were not talking cars?!!!

A dashboard replacment is a hack that changes what program loads when the xbox starts up. basicly you just change c:\dashboard.xbe to another file [IF YOU HAVE A CHIP!] otherwise you have to replace the xboxlive program with the dash and go through alot of crap to get it to boot instead of dashboard.xbe - your probably not following this.

A dashboard replacment just lets you load stuff. EvoX is an example. EvoX is a very populare, but overrated dashboard replacment. http://www.evolutionx.info/

The problem with dashboard replacments is that all of them are currently illegal due to them useing the XDK or the xbox development kit. Open XDK is a collection of tools that are used to create legall xbox programs but currently nothing worthy of replacing my dash has been created with Open XDK.

DCEmu Newbie

I'll think I'll keep mine legal, well until the years warranty runs out anyway!
    It's all very confusing!?!

[quote author=silverbullet767 link=board=xbox;num=1098273100;start=0#13 date=10/23/04 at 12:46:40]I'll think I'll keep mine legal, well until the years warranty runs out anyway!
    It's all very confusing!?![/quote]

If you can keep it clean, a softmod (hacked box without a chip) is nearly impossible to notice to the untrained.

I have a softmod its actually pretty good right now and i also bought Halo give me some info on the tunneling thing and i know this is really stupid if this tunneling thing works what about Dial Up cause my parents arent getting highspeed

I think i have read its possible to tunnel with dialup... but its laggy enough on high speed so you might just have to live without it. Basicly its just a program that makes your xbox connect through the internet through its LAN option.. a couple of clients exist. some one else can probably give you a link to a few. I cant really think of any. but there is one called XBConnect and Gamespy provides one. Another one exists thats very very populare and actually supports gamecube and ps2 tunneling also. cant think of its name right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information