EA chief operating officer Peter Moore has paid tribute to the Sega Dreamcast as it celebrates its 15th anniversary in the US today.
Sega's final console launched on September 9, 1999 in North America and Moore was president of Sega America at the time.
Now the COO of EA, Moore took to Twitter to post his thoughts on the launch of the console, which continues to enjoy a cult following to this day.
"I trust my employers here at EA will allow me the indulgence of reminiscence and nostalgia on this day, 09/09/14, the 15th anniversary of the launch of the Dreamcast here in North America on the wonderfully numerically-correct date of 09/09/99", Moore wrote.
"It certainly doesn't feel like fifteen years have gone by since this innovative console ushered in the era of online gaming, albeit through a 56K modem, and thus changed the face of interactive entertainment forever.
"The memories of course are bittersweet - we all know how this movie ended - but I was fortunate to have worked at that time with some of the most amazingly dedicated individuals, all of whom were galvanised around a single goal: prove the naysayers wrong, launch the console with a bang, get to a meaningful install base within the first twelve months, and keep the momentum going in the face of stiff competition.
"We still get together as a team from time to time, and oh the stories we could tell. Lots of coulda shoulda woulda, but primarily pride in our accomplishments and the legacy we firmly believe can be seen and felt in gaming to this day.
"With the Dreamcast's online capabilities, we coined a phrase 'we're taking gamers where gaming is going'. In our heart of hearts we were worried that we would not be there for the entire journey, but it was with great pride that with our Sega Sports games in particular, we ushered in the era of connected interactive entertainment.
"I don't think it is an overstatement to say that the Dreamcast and its online network laid the ground for what we all take for granted today: online gameplay, linking innumerable gamers from around the world to play, compete and collaborate, as well as enabling new content to be delivered in addition to that which was delivered on the disc."
The Dreamcast sold a total of 10.6 million consoles worldwide before Sega pulled out of the hardware business and focused solely on creating third-party games for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ary-in-the-us/