Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony announces UMD movie/game hybrid for PSP

Blog Entries

Default Sony announces UMD movie/game hybrid for PSP

Source - GI Biz

To encourage more consumers to purchase movies on the company's PSP specific Universal Media Disc (UMD) format, Sony has announced the forthcoming release of the first hybrid UMD containing a full movie and exclusive playable game.

Due for release on November 15th in the USA, Stealth will be the first movie released for the PSP which also includes a playable game on the same disc. Although a truncated version of the original, WipEout Pure will be included, featuring additional content which cannot be found elsewhere.

Dubbed WipEout Pure: Stealth edition, the UMD will contain three tracks, three crafts and three different modes, available for single player or up to four people in multiplayer games.

The tracks will include an exclusive level designed specifically for the Stealth package, and players will also be able to race using the Stealth aircraft from the movie as an added bonus.

Whilst Sony Pictures Home Entertainment president Ben Feingold heralds the release as "an unparalleled entertainment experience that marks the next phase in portable entertainment," concerns remain that consumers may not be as easily swayed into buying films on a format which can only ever be used on the PSP, as opposed to the universal DVD format - particularly given the pricing of the products in question.

Available from November 15th, Stealth UMD including WipEout Pure: Stealth edition will retail at USD 39.95 - considerably higher than the standard movie UMD price range of USD 19.95-29.95.

DCEmu Rookie

thats funny as hell...it seems like they are trying to make a terrible movie sell by adding a good game to it. I'd be more impressed if the movie was worth seeing.. Stealth sucked.

it would be cool if well developed...
    imagine a Star Wars Episode III movie UMD with it's PSP game on it too.
    really cool

I think they should just reduce the cost of the UMD movies to a reasonable amount. Around me they cost more than a DVD of the same movie. Stupid marketing strategy.

DCEmu Rookie

you stay in the wrong area..you should order them...I've seen them equal a dvd cost but not exceed and I have seen them cheaper...

UMD/DVD pro and con

UMD
    pro: never have to leave it's protective case
    con: you can only watch in PSP's small screen (for now*)

DVD
    pro: you can watch almos everywhere
    con: scratch easily if out of the box

*maybe someone develop other systems that can read UMDs...
    *there is an ACCESSORY in development that will let you play PSP games and watch UMD movies in a tv

they should get some exclusive movies on UMD instead of sucky movies that are on DVD for the same price or cheeper

the problem is that psp umd's can hold 1.8GB max, so it'd have to be a small movie/game combo, or crappy quality

i think they should rlease movies that don't have DVD version (ones that originally came in VHS)...

i didn't knew UMDs could store less than DVDs :P
    maybe a movie of 900MB and a game of 900MB(or otherwise sorted EX: 800MB/1GB) in a UMD...

DCEmu Newbie

you can buy 2GB memory sticks now - quite expensive - but they will soon be at the price point of a 1gb

UMD movies are useless - go buy the DVD and them rip it to your psp!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information