Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Beware- Nintendos Warning

People have the right to modify their consoles in whatever way they choose. Nintendo disabling consoles because they're modified sounds a little too over the top to me. Usually, the industry standard approach is to ban the console from any online functionality, rather than bricking it. And, honestly, people will always find a way to play pirated games.

Also, wasn't there a U.S. court case a while back that said that you can use whatever accessories you want, and not void the warranty?

Do MOD chips count as Accessories in that case?

Lucky me, I'm in Canada. The "Reasonable Use Act" rocks.

DCEmu Regular

^Nah, warranties are basically under the sellers' condition. The government may have some loose rules on warranties, but modding definitely isn't covered.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopKatt View Post
    ^Nah, warranties are basically under the sellers' condition. The government may have some loose rules on warranties, but modding definitely isn't covered.
    Don't know about that. Say you buy a car and put 20" rims on it, next day the engine blows up. Are you saying the seller isn't responsible because you modded it?

Well I know that on most computers if you open the case it invalidates the warranty, maybe they have some similar detection.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by markl187ld View Post
    Don't know about that. Say you buy a car and put 20" rims on it, next day the engine blows up. Are you saying the seller isn't responsible because you modded it?
    If you change engine parts I'm sure it voids the warranty.

DCEmu Rookie

Well if your Wii bricks and all you have done is add decorations to the outside of the case, I'm sure you're still covered.

DCEmu Regular

That's completely different. That's a CAR warranty, not a console warranty. I'm sure most decent car warranties will help you out on that one. If a non-related problem happens, then of course it's the seller's fault, but this is consoles, not cars.

Bottom line for the Wii (and just about every console) is that if you open it, you lose the warranty, and that's final. Even if it's a real defect that had nothing to do with your mod, you basically lose it all and you're on your own. I don't like it either, but it's their terms.

DCEmu Rookie

i never really liked mod chips other than in my xbox(original) because of all the stuff you could install like avalaunch, i still brought origianls only had copies to test the games because im not spending £6 for a demo

I would take this with a pinch of salt just liked they used the threats on the Wii updates saying "If your console contains any illegal modifcation your console could become inoperable"

PSN ID: splodger15

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information