Positioning PS4 as a gamer-centric device has played a major role in the console becoming the clear frontrunner in the current-gen sales race, but attracting more casual adopters may be key to Sony retaining its market lead over the coming years.
In order to capitalise on PS4's early momentum, PlayStation UK managing director Fergal Gara says the company needs to keep its existing user base engaged while also attracting different types of consumers.
Reflecting on PS4's first year on the market, he told Red Bull: "Adopting a very gamer-focused perspective from the outset served us extremely well. I think what we also learned is that it's really important to keep innovating to keep interest in the sector.
"This year sees the introduction of Share Play, the introduction of PlayStation TV and as we look forward there's plenty more to come - PlayStation Now and Project Morpheus looming in the background as a potential new project to take to market. It's a great start but we can't rest easy, we must keep exciting and delighting gamers - and of course broadening the audience as we go."
Looking to the future, Gara said: "I'd like it to continue with the innovation stream I just talked about, but also what we want to see in the next year or two is a bigger mass market play, shall we say. So in order to broaden and perhaps fill the void that's being left latent by, say, the Wii - which is a shadow of its former self.
"We need to have the kind of product that will engage that more casual consumer. I think that's a big opportunity for us, and that's not yet clear on the horizon, but something we should and I'm sure will be focused on as we look forward into year two, three and four."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ual-consumers/