Word from Paramount today is that Star Trek Season 2’s remastered DVD release is not cancelled as previously stated by many. Unlike its predecessor it is missing one vital component, the HD DVD portion! This saddens me, the HD DVD master was not only crisp and beautiful but it was also very interactive and neat.

I am a huge fan of the original, so regardless I will buy Season 2 when it is released in August. The good news is the film was still remastered and will feature a Dolby Digital soundtrack, plus those that bought the first season won’t be disappointed since the case is still designed the same way as the original was so it won’t stand out too much in your collection. Also consider this, if you have a good upscaller you will be missing very little. I believe it will still keep its 4:3 aspect ratio, so the picture won’t look stretched (The HD DVD side was also 4:3).

As for the “true” HD content, I believe it will eventually end up on the Xbox Live Video Marketplace (Season 1 has), and maybe even have some TV runs like Season 1 did remastered.

Your thoughts?

Source