Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chips?

DCEmu Newbie

Default chips?

I was wondering if its possible to change the firmwire chip on a version 1.5x or v2.0 psp with a version 1.5 or 1.0 firmiwire chip...We could downgrade this way,if someone can findout the type of the chips psp uses for the firmwire and a way to write the v1.5 or 1.0 directly to the chip (like the way mod chips are being programed)and then switch it with the on the psp.

DCEmu Newbie

Sure, this can be done with ease using an SMT reworking station to remove and install the chips and a blower to transfer the BIOS data to the new chip.

Quote Originally Posted by nonzero
    Sure, this can be done with ease using an SMT reworking station to remove and install the chips and a blower to transfer the BIOS data to the new chip.
    whatever you say smarty pants

not too many people are eager to open up their psp's. so many famed chip manufactures (xecuter) might be afraid that the chip wouldnt sale. thats pure speculation mind you.

DCEmu Newbie

Does someone knows what kind of chip psp uses for firmwire and where its located inside the psp?

DCEmu Regular

firstly the rom for the firmware is held in the same chip as the ram so we could but it would involve removin a surface mounted chip which is hard

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by infer0s
    Does someone knows what kind of chip psp uses for firmwire and where its located inside the psp?
    The PSP uses a Samsung chip for its firmware needs but there is no spec/tech sheet for it as it was custom specified by Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by *o*
    firstly the rom for the firmware is held in the same chip as the ram so we could but it would involve removin a surface mounted chip which is hard
    Firstly, where did you get this RAM/Firmware is the same chip deal from? Got a source?

As for removing chips - It's not hard if you have a reworking station (after all, thats what they are made for ) but for an average person with a regular set up its a monumental task.

Although, if the pinouts of the Samsung chip (137 if memory serves) can be mapped then it wouldn't be hard to release a 1.0 BIOS on an alternate flash to circumvent the main hardware.

DCEmu Newbie

so the problem would be to find the chip in retail stores.
    The removal and the sholdering of the chip would be easy?.what about the programing of the chip with the firmwire it needs can it be done outside of the psp?

DCEmu Rookie

um, my psp looks great closed thank you

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by infer0s
    so the problem would be to find the chip in retail stores.
    The removal and the sholdering of the chip would be easy?.what about the programing of the chip with the firmwire it needs can it be done outside of the psp?
    Indeed, its a piece of cake with the right tools. I used to do Xbox 128MB RAM upgrades using the SMT station and the chips I added to the mobo were indistinguishable from the MS factory ones

Well, they would be because the process and equipment are identical.

It's not necessary to find a replacement chip as its a case of removing the 1.5x/2.00 chip and reflashing it with a 1.00/1.50 BIOS but I prefer to work with brand new chips.

Another Xbox related example, I used to fix machines that had been pooched by incorrect/incomplete TSOP flashes by removing the old chip and replacing it with a preflashed 512k TSOP (= the machine could now hold 2 BIOSes instead of the one, great for Live or BIOS experiments)

But it seems that all of this isn't needed as Team Caliber have apparently succeeded in cracking 2.0 (partially at the moment, but it looks promising - allegedly )

Quote Originally Posted by SoQb0nc5r
    um, my psp looks great closed thank you
    Yup, it is kind of hard to play when it is in pieces

DCEmu Newbie

Anyway peolpe may be afraid of reflashing the psp factory chip with new firmwire(me too)
    because if you brick it you wont be able to fix it thats why i was wondering if we could use chips from retail stores...do you know what type of chips psp usew for the firmwire and a program to flash it with 1.5 firmwire like you did with the xbox my father is an electronics technician if we could find the chips,the way to program them with 1.5 or 1.0 and how to sholder it (if the chip is different from the psp's but does the trick)we could give it a tray any time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information