The provided example works like this. The map is made up of a series of objects placed in a grid. The map data is then stored into an array allowing for map objects to be rendered as necessary. This allows for a large, interactive, and randomly generated map and more!

All this has been done before by me and others on the forum, but I extended this idea to that of an open world game and added support that gives the game the effect of walking around outside as well as exploring various buildings and going to different floors inside of the buildings without needing the use of several DSGM game rooms.

To work the demo, use the dpad to move your character around (i know the camera isn't fixed right, but this is just for demonstrations only). The blue blocks are meant to symbolize walls/roofs of buildings. The door sprites act as doors to buildings. Walk up to a door and press A to walk in and out of buildings. The up and down arrows represent ascending (up arrow) and descending stairs (down arrow). Walk up to them and press A to walk up or down the respective staircase to travel to a different floor of the building.

Although this example isn't randomly generated, it could all be done so if I just added a few "Random(min, max)" calls. This engine could be used to do many things, but I haven't finalized a target project yet. I originally started this a while back to use for another sequel to my "The Living Dead" series. It would be an open world game zombie survival game with the ability to scavenge houses and stuff like that (kinda like games like DayZ). Also though about a grand theft auto type game, but am open to any kind of suggestions really. I hope you guys enjoy!

http://dsgamemaker.com/dsgmforum/vie...3c24df2dc957e1