In this article I’ll summarize the ongoing exploits, hacks, etc… that developers are working on for a potential PS4 Jailbreak. As always, if you’re looking for the latest status, I recommend to bookmark our CFW4Dummies page on PS4 Jailbreak.

First of all I’ll shortcut the people who’ll say the word “jailbreak” does not apply for anything else than an iPhone: rules of a language evolve as people use it, and it seems jailbreak is a popular term, if not among hackers, at least among users, to talk about things as various as PS4 hacks, exploits, custom firmwares, or piracy dongles.

Although we try to regularly shut down the rumors, it seems there exists a business in pretending the PS4 has been hacked. A few websites with low self esteem have made it their business to attract clicks by pretending a massive PS4 “jailbreak” or hack is being worked on (this includes a popular PS3 scene site that was recently sold by its original owners…). Sometimes they mention the name of an obscure hacker based on an obvious hoax, other times they re-heat the plate and add another popular name of the “hacking” subculture as seen by the medias, for example by pretending that Lizard Squad is behind an upcoming PS4 hack. (hint: they’re not)

So let me get this straight once again: the reckZ0r PS4 hack is a fake, the Lizard Squad PS4 hack too: the popular name “Lizard Squad” has just been slapped as a sticker to an old hoax in need of a new twist, to generate more click and bait.

So what are real hackers working on nowadays for the PS4 security?

The last time we mentioned PS4 hacks was based on a statement from YifanLu, that the PS4 would probably be easier to hack than the PS Vita. That dates back to several months ago already, so has anything evolved since then?

PS4 Vulnerabilities

First of all, the most well known vulnerability is the PS4 Webkit exploit that was disclosed in Firmware 1.76, and patched in the next PS4 firmware (which is actually the reason that exploit was disclosed in the first place). It is safe to assume a fair amount of hackers are still running a 1.76 PS4 today, looking into this. Even though the exploit has been patched, it’s become an entry point for any hacker remaining on 1.76, which could lead to additional discoveries of new vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities could be leveraged on recent firmwares.

More than a year ago, SKFU mentioned a PS4 vulnerability in application Vidnow. I have seen little to no reaction on this. My gut feeling is that this wasn’t deemed important enough to work on.

More recently, old school psp hacker jeerum mentioned an IE buffer overflow exploit that seems to have an effect on the PS4’s browser. This actually seems to crash the PS4, even on recent system versions. This one could be a serious vulnerability, and might not have received the attention it deserves.

PS4 Hacks: work in progress

As always, most of the interesting work is done under the hood. IRC Channel #PS4Dev is probably where you’ll want to go if you think you can contribute. Of course, don’t expect hackers to share their secrets to you until you’ve shown that you’re actually bringing something to the table and that they can trust you.

Significant information is being added to the ps4 dev wiki on a regular basis. On that wiki you’ll find the information that hackers and devs are willing to share on the device. Things such as the PS4 Game Disc format, how the boot sequence works, etc…

There’s of course no magic here, the devs and hackers share what they want to share on that wiki, so do not expect to find a magical solution for your PS4 jailbreak. If anything big is happening, it is currently under wraps.

PS4 Jailbreak

So what’s the status of the PS4 jailbreak as of now? simply put, there is no PS4 jailbreak available, as of March 2015. But there is enough activity under the hood that we know things are making progress. As always, to check the latest and greatest status of PS4 Hacks, check our PS4 CFW for dummies page!
http://wololo.net/2015/03/08/ps4-jai...tatus-in-2015/