Its failure to access the console ecosystem was the main cause behind the eventual demise of streaming games platform OnLive, one of its key competitors has said.
“Onlive was a heck of a competitor to Gaikai, at every single turn we made different choices. It was very worrying, were we making the right choices?” Gaikai founder Dave Perry said on his blog.
“Our issue was that PC games (for keyboard and mouse) were becoming really difficult to get running across a myriad of TV’s, phones, set-top boxes and websites from the cloud, especially as a lot of great games are no longer supported by anyone, even their publishers have disappeared.
“So at Gaikai we kept looking at the console libraries and sighing… how lucky they were to have organized, well supported platforms, with incredible game libraries that worked on standard controllers.”
Gaikai was eventually acquired by Sony, whereas OnLive’s hopes of a console tie-in never materialised.
“Onlive did an assignment for the benefit of creditors (an asset sale) shortly after Sony acquired us. We were in complete shock,” Perry added, although OnLive management has always disputed the way in which the events of 2012 at OnLive were depicted by the press.
“Onlive then grew a second time enriched by new funding and new leadership, by integrating Steam versions of the games, they accelerated onboarding but they never got the chance to integrate a console library.
“I have a lot of personal respect for the management at Onlive, I’m personal friends (from the past) with executives and staff there and I wish them the best of luck going forward. We have opened up numerous job positions to help their transition in any way we can.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/onliv...y-says/0147850