Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DS Homebrew FAQ/Guide

DCEmu Newbie

Having been a PSP fan for the last two years, I found it to be really easy to "modify" and play "legal back ups of my games"

....but I just got bored with it and fancied a change. So I sold it.

I already have a Wii and figured that it will have some sort of connection facilities with the DS in the future so I bought a brand new DS lite yesterday, in the hope of playing back up games. I have purchased a M3 DS Simply & 2GB Micro SD Card from ebay for £45 with delivery.

Firstly, is this a good deal or not?

Secondly, how good is this card for playing DS backup games and do I need to do anything to my DS before it will work?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

DCEmu Newbie

First off, I fooled around with the PSP before ever buying a DS...

I mostly used my PSP to hold SNES, Genesis, GBA, NES emulators/roms/games... and I would like to do the same with my DS.

My question is, is it possible to put old gen emulators on the DS and which ones work well.

(Also, I just ordered an R4 a few days ago, will I be able to run these emulators on R4, or is the R4 strictly for .nds backups?

DCEmu Newbie

well is it so hard to open a new thread ??? >_<
    the search function has helped many people >_>

the r4 and m3 simply are both the same , with the exception the r4 gets firmwareupgrades earlier.
    both of them only accepts .nds files , hb must be patched with dldi patcher. NDS gamegs works perfectly
    i bought myself the R4 some months ago for 50 € because my M3 Perfect SD has broken ... i want it back >_>

some emulators exist for genesis & co although they are currently in development so they dont run perfectly
    NES and SNES works mostly fine , Genesis ... my informations may incorrect but i think it doesnt run at full speed , sound problems ...

hope that helped , but please use in the future the search function >_>

NDS

Quote Originally Posted by pagdodd View Post
    I have purchased a M3 DS Simply & 2GB Micro SD Card from ebay for £45 with delivery.

Firstly, is this a good deal or not?

Secondly, how good is this card for playing DS backup games and do I need to do anything to my DS before it will work?
    1. Some might call that a good deal.
    2. If you want to know how good a cart will work, simply use Google! Just search for "(cart name here) Reviews". Simple as that. Not trying to be rude, but asking about things that you can easily find on Google wont give you much respect in most forums.

Quote Originally Posted by ninz View Post
    My question is, is it possible to put old gen emulators on the DS and which ones work well.

(Also, I just ordered an R4 a few days ago, will I be able to run these emulators on R4, or is the R4 strictly for .nds backups?
    1. There are some emulators for the Nintendo DS on the DS news page. http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

2. Yes R4 can play homebrew.

Also, I think some of you might be wondering what the laws are on Backups (ROMs). (these were the current laws last time I checked, if the laws have changed please notify me.)

When you download a backup you can use it for 24 hours, after that you must delete it, UNLESS you own the game in its original form.
    If you do not delete it after 24 hours and you do not own the game, you are breaking the law and promoting piracy.
    The 24 hour time limit is so that you can TEST the game and decide if you want to buy it or not.

As far as I know, the whole "24 hour" thing is complete BS made up by these rom sites to make you think you're not doing anything illegal.

I was under the impression that a single backup was allowed if, and only if:
    1. The backup is made yourself, using your own originally purchased hardware
    2. The backup is used solely as a backup, sitting in archive in case the original hardware breaks.

Regardless, even if you backup the copy yourself, we are not allowed to discuss them on DCemu according to the rules.

DCEmu Newbie

I've read all the faqs i can find, and i cant make heads or tails of them.

Most FAQs i've read are either very old or say "you can try this...or this is also an option...or what about this?" and they are confusing. I had to search for an hour before i found somewhere that explain what "homebrew" meant in emulation terms...

Can someone please just give me a shopping list of their recommended items to buy; dont worry about links to the shops, just the name of them.

I know the information will be out there somewhere but would please someone be so kind to just write up a "starter pack" shopping list for me?

DCEmu Newbie

Hi guys

I am new to this site, and also new to the nintendo ds.
    I have bought a ds and the m3 cartridge and 2gb transflash memory card.

I have a few zipped games on dvd, but cannot seem to get these games to play from the memory card. I have unzipped into a folder and copied to memory card but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong?

AlanGray, there are so many products out there that it's hard to give a specific "one size fits all" recommendation. What are you interested in doing with the homebrew device?

DCEmu Newbie

Playing my back up NDS and GBA games, that's about it

DCEmu Newbie

its alright now, bought an R4

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information