Thread: Nicky Boum PSP

Default Nicky Boum PSP

This is a PSP adaptation of classic Amiga/DOS platformer by Microids (http://www.microids.com).
    The game was published in 1992 and was also ported to the Atari ST and PC EGA platforms.
    PSP port is based on a cross-platform game engine recreation by Gregory Montoir (http://cyxdown.free.fr/nicky/)

INSTALLATION
    ----------
    The game will only work on custom PSP 3.XX firmwares.
    Copy nicky1 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME (or ms:/PSP/GAME3XX where XX is your custom firmware's subversion

CONTROLS
    ------
    [TRIANGLE] JUMP
    [ARROWS] IN-GAME MOVEMENTS
    [R-TRIGGER] JUMP
    [X] FIRE / BOMBS / ACTION
    [L-TRIGGER] INVENTORY
    [START] PAUSE/BACK TO GAME
    [SELECT] EXIT TO TITLE

GAMEPLAY
    -------
    The player controls 'Nicky', a little boy who embarks on an adventure through a fantastical land to
    find an elixir to save his grandfather from a spell cast on him by the evil sorceress Zoldrane.
    Nicky can walk, jump, and in an original theme can throw apple cores to defend himself against
    the monsters occupying the levels. Aside from throwing apple cores, the player can pick up other
    items to throw at enemies such as bouncy balls and logs. The logs can also be used to build bridges
    at certain parts of the levels.
    Nicky is able to jump on enemies to defeat them, which is often more difficult but lets the
    monsters drop point items to collect. When jumped on, some enemies such as giant snails will
    split into multiple smaller versions of themselves.

The game consists of 8 levels based on 4 separate themes including a swamp, dark forest and a castle.

Although, save-game / level codes are currently not implemented, there are "secret" button combos,
    which enable a player to jump to next level and get bombs as well as other goodies.

CREDITS
    ------
    Alain Lambin - Graphics / Sound / Music
    Dominico Manfredi - Original game programming
    Gregory Montoir - Cross-platform game engine recreation
    DENISKA - PSP port

SORCE CODE
    ---------
    PSP SDK compatible source code is included in the distribution.
    Information about PSP SDK & toolchain can be acquired at http://ps2dev.org/psp

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Download Here
    Last edited by deniska; May 8th, 2008 at 16:28.

DCEmu Newbie

Seem to be getting a black screen on CFW 3.71 M33,
    but audio seems to play ok, and I suspect the game hasn't crashed either, just a weird video problem.

try to reset your psp (hold power for a few seconds) and try again.

If this does not help, try using the attached EBOOT.BPB

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Deniska.

Yes, I tried a full reset before I bothered posting

The alternate eboot gives the same result, black screen (but music plays, and judging from the slapping the buttons, it seems it has not crashed either). Perhaps something to do with SDL recently updated, or some strange incompatibility with CFW 3.71... *shrug*

Thanks for the effort though !

(Perhaps I should just upgrade to the most recent CFW, but I stayed with this one for checking compatibility with my own project...)

Exclamation

There seems to be a bug in psp-sdl implementation.. It has something to do with run-time memory allocation, so different FW versions may yield different results :-(
    In any case, I posted another 2 sets of EBOOT.PBP with NICKY II release, they should also be compatible with NICKY 1 engine, so if you still have black screen problem, consider trying those @:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111297

same here, not working for me. only sound and black screen. my custom firmware 5.00 M33-6 and one game called nick which is up not working too. please fix.

Thread Information